[SOLVED] I have 4k screen, when running games at lower resolution in full screen, I get black bars (RX 5700 XT)

Valachio

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I have a Samsung 4k monitor. Sometimes I want to play games at a lower resolution with same aspect ratio (e.g. 3200 x 1800 or 2560 x 1440). However, at those resolutions, the game doesn't scale properly to take up the entire screen and leaves black bars on the right and bottom of the screen.

E.g. this is a picture of a game at 3200 x 1800 resolution

I know it's not a problem with the game itself, because I've tried 3 games and all of them have the same problem, so I'm guessing it's a hardware/driver issue.

In the AMD Radeon Settings app, I changed "Scaling Mode" to Full Panel but that didn't work. I also turned on "GPU Scaling" but that didn't work either.

I checked my monitor's settings and there isn't any options about scaling lower resolution fullscreen apps.

I want full screen apps at lower resolution to take up the entire screen, how do I do that?

Solution
In some games you have to use Alt+Enter to get the initial screen to show fullscreen. Once it does, it should stay fullscreen.

It may however also require using fullscreen mode in game, vs borderless windowed mode.