[SOLVED] I have 5ghz bands (in US) and one 2.4 GHZ band--channel selection and download speed questions

pcumming

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Prob been asked before. I have 200MBps down wired via Spectrum and a Netgear AC4000 Nighthawk x4s

2.4 Ghz signal set for channel 11

5 GHz radio1 lets me choose from 153-157 UNII-3 channels

Other 5ghz radio 2 only lets me select like 36,40,44,48.. only-no high numbered channels ?????
Question 1 *Why only UNII-1 channels??

Have used Wi-Fi analyzer to look at best channels and 5ghz radio 2 does not let me pick what Wi-Fi analyzer says is a better channel in the high UNII-3 range.

You can see settings for the 3 channels here:
http://www.bebolderhireolder.com/tempit/

Question 2 *Noticed that even 10-20 feet from router with cell phone Samsung S8 on Wifi 5ghz bands or Desktop laptop (2.4ghz) I only get about 30mbps down... Strange. 200mbps wired.

Thank you very much in advance for your knowledge and helping me out.

Sincerely
Peter

Solution
The purpose of the two 5Ghz radios is to distribute the load. So forcing them to different bands ensures you don't do something stupid and put them on the same channel.

To troubleshoot your throughput problems, set each radio to a unique SSID. That way you know EXACTLY which radio you are connected to. Set your channel bandwidth to 40mhz on 5Ghz and 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz.

You may want to do a factory reset on the router to ensure you haven't accidentally set some option that is impeding your performance.

kanewolf

Titan
The purpose of the two 5Ghz radios is to distribute the load. So forcing them to different bands ensures you don't do something stupid and put them on the same channel.

To troubleshoot your throughput problems, set each radio to a unique SSID. That way you know EXACTLY which radio you are connected to. Set your channel bandwidth to 40mhz on 5Ghz and 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz.

You may want to do a factory reset on the router to ensure you haven't accidentally set some option that is impeding your performance.

Solution

pcumming

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Thank you. I believe both 5 ghz signals are set to 40mhz.

The router R8000p is set up as an access point and connected via ether net Lan port.

After screwing around with it today I increased my dl speeds from 40mbps to about 100 after turning on QOS Wmm.
Strange this worked but it did.

**Is there a 20mhz band setting for the radios or only 40 or 80?

Thanks again, Peter