Question I have 6700K 4ghz. I OC it to 4.6 ghz & 1.4v. CPU idle 100 load & slow games/system.

Apr 17, 2019
I have 6700K 4ghz and asus maximus hero VIII Motherboard
I OC it to 4.6 ghz & 1.4v.
With overclock system never ran more than 72ºC.
CPU idle makes system stutter, a single program maxes it out ~100 load & slow games (games that had 144fps now jump from 0-90 fps with any action)/system(cracking sound during the launch of any program, long response, unstable mouse).
after I reset bios to default settings nothing changed and even stock is slow.
can it be damaged?
tried:
- updating all the drivers
-reseting bios
feels like either cpu is running on one core or low frequency

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Stock is not 1.35V unless your motherboard is applying a really high voltage by default. General consensus I've seen is that ~1.4V is as high as you really want to go for a 24/7 OC.

What is the max temperature if you run Prime95 v26.6 small FFTs? What is the reported Vcore while Prime95 is running?

Apr 17, 2019
Stock is not 1.35V unless your motherboard is applying a really high voltage by default. General consensus I've seen is that ~1.4V is as high as you really want to go for a 24/7 OC.

What is the max temperature if you run Prime95 v26.6 small FFTs? What is the reported Vcore while Prime95 is running?
Ok. My mistake, it says 1.312v in the manual. (When not overclocked and left for auto two years ago motherboard was allowing 1.48v, so I kept it at1.25v)
I dont like nor use prime95.
I used heavyload and asus realbench to check for instability and on first day it was ok, second day I booted pc and it was already slow. realbench stooped at 3 minutes saying unstable system.
To do any further test I've got to get home, so will add info later. Ask away.
View: https://youtu.be/gZe26lv7lJ4
this vid was used as a guide for the first attempt.
Later I just defaulted everything and only rised the speed and voltage

Apr 17, 2019
What manual are you referring to? The default voltage used for a CPU is going to vary chip to chip and motherboard to motherboard, I don't know how there could be an exact specified stock voltage documented anywhere.
Well. At the moment I dont have it at hand, but from two years ago when installing cpu I remember being extra careful with reading all the manuals, and in the box of cpu it had indication of advised voltage. I might be wrong though.
Anyway, we are straying from the topic.
Can you give me an advice or request any data regarding what you might need in order to supply me with some solution?

Apr 17, 2019
Well if you don't like Prime95 for some reason run whatever CPU stress test you prefer and report Vcore and maximum temps.

Also, run userbenchmark and post link to results. https://www.userbenchmark.com/
Bios 1.3v. results with prime 95:
Voltage 1.35v
Clock 4,216
Temp 62-65
Userbenchmark: says 68% background but there is nothing aside from hardware drivers running and task manager has a total sum of 11%
Cant send screenshot.
Will flash bios and then install windows anew