[SOLVED] I have 8 GB of RAM but 4-6 GB is in use all the time

Oct 27, 2020
Without stuff running it seems like there still is around 4 gb of ram in use. With some programs, especially fire fox, the ram goes up to around 6 GB. Any reason why my RAM is so high in usage? Link to a screenshot:

https://prnt.sc/v7smwa

I run a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 8 gb ram, originally had 6 but i changed it into 2x4 gb.

Solution
Ah sorry, did not see you replied.
So that does not seem like a memory leak. If it was a memory leak the non-paged pool would have been filled with your unassessed ram.

But I took another look at the first screenshot you sent, and actually I think your programs, and windows stuff just actually stack up that high.
Windows is becoming a ram hog more and more everyday, and I personally think that the wisdom of 8 gigs of ram for the masses, and 16 for gamers with more being only for powerusers and people with special needs like video editing is going to change
and 16 will become the norm.

If you go into your first 2 screenshots, especially in the latter one, you can see that your...
Ah sorry, did not see you replied.
So that does not seem like a memory leak. If it was a memory leak the non-paged pool would have been filled with your unassessed ram.

But I took another look at the first screenshot you sent, and actually I think your programs, and windows stuff just actually stack up that high.
Windows is becoming a ram hog more and more everyday, and I personally think that the wisdom of 8 gigs of ram for the masses, and 16 for gamers with more being only for powerusers and people with special needs like video editing is going to change
and 16 will become the norm.

If you go into your first 2 screenshots, especially in the latter one, you can see that your programs (or other background processes) stack up to around 2-3 gigs.
and with your pc using around 70% at that point, meaning around 6 gigs, I can see how windows alone would take around 3 or so gigs.

Solution
Oct 27, 2020
Alright that's clear, was afraid so. I think am able to extend my ram to 16 GB, although I'm not completely sure. This is what I found.

https://prnt.sc/v9b3s8

Any tips for upgrading to 16 GB? I went from 6gb to 8gb which went fine, but 16GB is a big upgrade.

Edit: My Laptop is around 2,5 years old. Asus FX503VD

Last edited: