I have 8 gigs in ram xp cant recognize

Vickman

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Hi there!
I'm using a Gigabyte mother board with cuad core and 8 gigs ram but xp just recognize 4gigs, could you help me?

I'd like to work with the 8 gigs.

Thanks in advance

Vick

mrmez

Splendid
As said,u will need a 64bit OS to read more than 4gb of system memory.

Remember, system memory means Ram, GPU, Sound. Lan etc. They all count.

Id choose W7 as a Windoze OS. XP64 just never took off. You will find drivers impossible to find.

64bit h/ware is not an issue. If you have a Mobo that can support 8Gb, you will have 64bit compatible h.ware.

Remember, most windows software is only 32bit. So games for example wont be able to make use of any more than ~4gb anyway.

D

Deleted member 217926

You have 64bit hardware. You need 64 bit Windows.
Oopsie you arent the op ......I need to read better. :whistle:

mikrev007

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

3.25 is just an average number. It can be higher than that. Whatever the number is, it won't get higher just because you install more than 4GB RAM.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, can't say I've had access to a Windows XP x86 computer with 8GBs of RAM, so can't speak from personal experience!!

I think the maximum is actually 3072 + 384 or 3 & 3/8s GBs of RAM.

The discussion of 64-bit hardware rather amused me since it's not related to the issue of the Windows version really.

I get the feeling the original poster isn't gonna come back to this one...

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Ya know, the more I think about it, the less I'm satisfied with this idea of 32-bit Windows "using" the excess of the 4GBs for internal processes.

When I up the amount of memory my onboard video card uses, it takes it from the 3.25GBs that's delivered to Windows - so that Windows shows only 3GBs or less available. If Windows is the culprit, why does the BIOS steal from the Windows portion of the RAM?

And why doesn't Windows steal from 2GBs of RAM? You put 2GBs in, you get 2GBs.

I think Windows is just tossing this extra RAM out in the trash bin...