[SOLVED] I have a 130W cooler for a 92W CPU and it still gets 90c under full load.

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to read this. My question is why am I still getting horrible temps with a monster of a cooler. I've always had bad temps with the CPU (GPU, RAM, and others are 100% fine) and figured it was the bad cooler that came with it, so I decided to purchase a ThermalTake UX200 because it should cool it right down, or so I thought. I wanted to overclock my CPU, but raising the voltage at all meant thermal throttling on the old cooler, but now I can just manage to squeeze a slight voltage increase, but I turned it off because it wasn't worth it. With it turned off, it peaks at around 93c, which is insane for a cooler that supports 130W on a 92W CPU.

So my question is: Why is my cpu still so hot? If someone smarter than me could answer this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Link for the temps

Solution
All CPUs are rated different. Intel rates at their lowest clock speed for normal desktop use.

If you game or crunch numbers (folding,decoding, video editing, etc...) the power usage goes way up.
In this review ,the core I9 10900k , a 125 watt cpu pulls over 200 watts.
So to run it you need a 200 watt heatsink/cooler just to keep temperatures at throttling stage.
To keep temperatures at compfortable levels you need a 250w or better heatsink/cooler.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review/2

As stated above more info from you is needed to give a definite answer,

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
What's your CPU?

Also are you applying the right amount of thermal paste?

Does your case have any fans in them as well?

And what are those peaks from? Gaming or stress test software?
Hey, thanks for responding! I have an AMD Athlon 860k (old, I know) and my case has 4 fans excluding the cpu fan, and it’s during a stress test, but I have also tested gaming and it depends on the game, but I used one that maxes it out, and it got the same as stressing it. Also, I didn’t put enough thermal paste but was going to change it tomorrow, it fills most of the cpu but it still could use a little more. Thanks for your time!

Hey, thanks for responding! I have an AMD Athlon 860k (old, I know) and my case has 4 fans excluding the cpu fan, and it’s during a stress test, but I have also tested gaming and it depends on the game, but I used one that maxes it out, and it got the same as stressing it. Also, I didn’t put enough thermal paste but was going to change it tomorrow, it fills most of the cpu but it still could use a little more. Thanks for your time!
Older AMD CPU's always dont read the correct temps from 3rd party software.
Is the temp shown in bios also high?

You mentioned that you didnt put enough thermal paste? You only need a little bit of thermal paste. Like a grain of rice or a small pea is a good reference.

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
Older AMD CPU's always dont read the correct temps from 3rd party software.
Is the temp shown in bios also high?
They don’t? Odd, well after leaving it in the bios for a few, it says 60c. Welp :| There still is one problem I have though, it does thermal throttle at the softwares reported 100-105c, so is that accurate, or does it thermal throttle at an earlier temperature (this happened during overclocking) Thanks!

All CPUs are rated different. Intel rates at their lowest clock speed for normal desktop use.

If you game or crunch numbers (folding,decoding, video editing, etc...) the power usage goes way up.
So to run it you need a 200 watt heatsink/cooler just to keep temperatures at throttling stage.
To keep temperatures at compfortable levels you need a 250w or better heatsink/cooler.

Solution
They don’t? Odd, well after leaving it in the bios for a few, it says 60c. Welp :| There still is one problem I have though, it does thermal throttle at the softwares reported 100-105c, so is that accurate, or does it thermal throttle at an earlier temperature (this happened during overclocking) Thanks!
I'd wipe the old thermal paste off and put new paste in completely and also make sure that you tighten the cooler properly on and dont let the cooler lift up after you've seated it on the cpu to avoid air bubbles in your thermal paste.

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. Thank goodness I got the 130 watt one instead of a 95 watt one.

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
I'd wipe the old thermal paste off and put new paste in completely and also make sure that you tighten the cooler properly on and dont let the cooler lift up after you've seated it on the cpu to avoid air bubbles in your thermal paste.
Ok, I’ll make sure it has more and better thermal paste and hopefully it improves it more, thanks for the tip!

Furzumz

Reputable

On top of what others said make sure there's enough thermal paste to cover the entire top of the metal plate on the processor. I would recommend watching this if you're unsure of how much to use:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
On top of what others said make sure there's enough thermal paste to cover the entire top of the metal plate on the processor. I would recommend watching this if you're unsure of how much to use:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM
Yeah, I thought I used enough, but when I checked, it didn’t have that much, but I had already put it away and didn’t think much of it, I’ll be sure to put a bit more on tomorrow.

Furzumz

Reputable
Yeah, I thought I used enough, but when I checked, it didn’t have that much, but I had already put it away and didn’t think much of it, I’ll be sure to put a bit more on tomorrow.

It's also worth noting the paste will spread out more once it heats up. That and the pressure from a mounted cooler also spreads it around too

If you put it on at room temperature and pulled the cooler off without running it for awhile it may not spread out that much

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
It's also worth noting the paste will spread out more once it heats up. That and the pressure from a mounted cooler also spreads it around too

If you put it on at room temperature and pulled the cooler off without running it for awhile it may not spread out that much
Ok, thanks for the tip! Didn’t know that it spread easier when heated.

I still have a couple Phenom 2 960t is service.
95 watt Cpu same as 860k.
But when overclocked and folding they pull 140watts. onlocked to 6 coresthey pull 170 watt.
Download AMD overdrive or Core Temp and check temps. Your CPU will throttle or shut down at 74.5c depending on motherboard settings.

RooXChicken

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
I still have a couple Phenom 2 960t is service.
95 watt Cpu same as 860k.
But when overclocked and folding they pull 140watts. onlocked to 6 coresthey pull 170 watt.
Download AMD overdrive or Core Temp and check temps. Your CPU will throttle or shut down at 74.5c depending on motherboard settings.
Ok, thanks. And which motherboard settings change when it thermal throttles, I didn’t see anything like that, but I’ll keep it in mind.