Question i have a 144hz monitor but it only runs at 120hz

Apr 29, 2019
I have a 144hz monitor but it only runs at 120hz and lower. I already tried to change it in the advanced screen options but the highest hz i can change it to is 120hz. The monitor that i have is a msi optix mag271c. I hope someone has an answer thanks!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
On some monitors you have to use a DP cable for it to reach 144Hz. That is a DisplayPort cable. Check with MSI website or the manual see if they specify the DP cable as necessary for 144Hz.

If you used another HDMI and didn't go up yo 144Hz (and you're sure they are good quality working cables) it probably requires DP or DVI (dual link with 24 pins) to work at 144Hz.

Apr 29, 2019
i copied this from the msi website optix mag 271c specifications:
Display Port: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 144Hz)
HDMI: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 144Hz)
The color gamut follows the CIE 1976 testing standard.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That MSI R7 370 4Gb is is your graphics card. I mean the driver for the monitor here under the Support tab.

Also check under the control panel for your graphics card to see if the refresh rate is limited to 120Hz.

If all is as it should be maybe the HDMI cable you have cannot support over 120Hz. There are some HDMI cable sold as 'high speed' which apparently can support 144Hz without a problem.

Anyway I'd suggest you check with a good quality DP cable.

On a relatively off topic note, that card has a DP port I think and can theoretically support 144Hz refresh rate, however, I don't think you can get the frame rate in modern AAA games without lowering the graphical settings to the minimum.