I have a 2.4ghz and 5ghz network on same modem. How can i choose which I connect to with ethernet?

Apr 26, 2018
I have a gigabit internet plan and I have 2 computers I have tested my issue with. My desktop indicates it is connected to my 2.4ghz band through ethernet. While my laptop is also connected to Ethernet but indicates it is connected to my 5.0ghz band. I am aware that ethernet should be the same no matter what because it is wired directly to the modem/router, but that is not the case. My desktop is connected to Ethernet "2.4" and receiving ~500mbps down on a gigabit plan, while my laptop is connected to Ethernet "5.0" and receiving ~960mbps down. From my knowledge Ethernet should give the fastest speeds provided by the service, but as I am saying the different "Ethernet bands"(2.4 and 5.0) are providing different speeds.

What exactly are you calling ethernet? Ethernet is wired connection. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are wifi connections (not ethernet).

This for example doesn't make any sense:

Apr 26, 2018
I am aware that 2.4 and 5 are wifi bands, but my 2 different Ethernet connections both, for what ever reason, connect to "different bands" which I know should not be the case because of Ethernet, but both connections also provide different speeds when they should be the same because of ethernet

Again - what does that even mean?
Are you saying - your router is configured in client mode and receives internet wirelessly via 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?
(because this is not a standard configuration and usually is not supported by original firmware of a wifi router)

How exactly did you come to this conclusion, that your pc is using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands via ethernet cable? Can you provide any screenshots?

Apr 26, 2018
http://
^this is my laptop which is "connected to 5g" and receiving almost full gigabit speeds.
http://
^this is my desktop Wich is "connected to 2.4g" and receiving not full gigabit speeds.
As you can see my 2.4 is named "Speed - 2.4" and my 5 is named "SPEEEED -5". I have no idea why an Ethernet to the same modem/router is connected to "different bands" (which should not make a difference) and giving me different speeds.

They still are not both appearing correctly but this appears to be windows being stupid from the 1 image that does load. Somehow it decided to call the network the name associated with the wifi radios even though it is using ethernet.

I was wondering how you got such massive speeds on wifi...even on your slower machine...but this explains it you are not using wifi. Even the best wifi you would be lucky to get 350mbit/sec

That field is just some name. The traffic is not going though the wifi radio chips. Both your machines are going to the lan switch chip in the router to the router cpu and then out to the internet.

Why they are different speed I suspect is something to do with the machines and not your network. Not sure where to start since there are many things this can be. I would be suspect of the nic card drivers...especially if you have any of that silly gaming accelerator crap running.

You could try a old tool called IPERF and see what transfer rates you get between the machines in your house. This would eliminate some of the lower level stuff. It would also indicate if maybe it was the web browser causing the limitations. This is why for example speedtest stopped using flash since it bottlenecked the download rates.

Apr 26, 2018
Like I stated before, even though both connections are Ethernet I'm still receiving 2 different speeds. I know the name should not make a difference but then what is the problem. Is it my Ethernet port on my desktop, is it windows, or is it a cable? I want to receive full gigabit speeds on my desktop but I don't know what to fix.

Apr 26, 2018
I've tried swapping cables, switching ports, updating drivers, disabling ad blockers/anti malware, updating windows, checking the router settings it self and nothing has changed. I have never got above 700mbps down on my desktop but on my laptop I've achieved up to 1010 Mbps. The only thing I can think of is to maybe get a pcie Ethernet adapter and see if I can get full gigabit speeds through that. If u have any other ideas, I'm open.

Apr 26, 2018
But I am connected to Ethernet, which is connected to the exact same router, but I am receiving 2 different speeds. I am not using WiFi whatsoever.

I've tried troubleshooting this for hours, I have 2 solutions that can potentially sway windows receive maxium speeds. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks