Question I have a 2.5GBe LAN port, but only 2 days ago it got limited to 100Mbps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
ISP allows for 2.5Gbps Internet, and LAN does support it through only 1 port on the router. My Ethernet (Cat6a) goes to that port. Nothing has changed between now and then besides reinstalling Windows and updating the drivers completely, but to no conclusion.

No way it'd be the cable, right?

MSI Pro X670-P mobo

In many ways you want to hope it is just a bad cable. Unless you did something silly like force set it to 100mbps it is not likely a software setting. The speed negotiation is done at the hardware level and is not even really driver related.

It can be as simple as a cable it slightly loose and moved because of say heat.

The cable could have been defective when it was manufactured and just lately one of the pins inside one of the jacks no longer makes good connectivity. There are also massive amounts of fake cable sold, it is actually very hard to find legitimate vendor on even amazon. You see all kinds of that flat and thin cable being called everything even cat8.

If you have a old cat5e cable laying around try that. I no longer have access to the official documents for ethernet standards but I have been told that cat5e and cat6 are actually rated to carry 2.5 and 5g....maybe not at the full 100 meters but again I have not seen the official standards.

The cheapest thing to try though is going to be to buy a new cat6a cable. The only other thing that can cause this are defective ports which are not easily replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.