Question I have a 3-4 year old MSI gaming laptop that I wish to give to my brother-in-law for his first gaming laptop. Will a few upgrades save it?

Aug 21, 2020
The laptop in question:

MSI GL62 6QD-015NE 15.6" bærbar gaming PC - Gaming PC laptop - Elkjøp (elkjop.no)
Specs:
  • Processor: i5-6300HQ
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 950M, 2GB
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 at 2133Mhz
  • Storage: 1TB SATA HDD at 5400RPM
I bought this gaming laptop in 2016 and it served me until late 2019. It has gotten noticeably slower over the years, and takes 10-15 minutes to start Windows. This is most likely the harddrive slowing down, as it still runs games pretty okay-ish.

I opened up the back of the computer yesterday and noticed that it is only running with a single 8GB stick of RAM and runs on an ancient 5400RPM SATA HDD.

My question is; would this system be capable of games such as GTA Online, Minecraft, Rocket League, ROBLOX, Fall Guys, Among Us, etc. at reasonable settings if I were to upgrade the RAM to dual channel at 2x8 (16GB) and replacing the HDD with an NVME M.2 SSD seeing as it is possible with this laptop.
I'm not expecting insane performance from this laptop, it is old and worn down, but I am hoping to squeeze some more life out of it seeing as it was only bought 4 years ago. Any input is highly appreciated!

Last edited: