Question I have a 4 port motherboard does it need to match exactly

Feb 19, 2023
i have two sticks of ram already installed onto my PC that I currently use, and have some ram sticks from an older computer would it be fine to add my old ones together with my new ones?

DSzymborski

Titan
i have two sticks of ram already installed onto my PC that I currently use, and have some ram sticks from an older computer would it be fine to add my old ones together with my new ones?

It might work, it might not. Only sticks sold together in a kit are guaranteed to work together, but they sticks do work together quite often. Just be prepared for it not to work.

Reactions: Voidmaster01
Are they of same type?
For example you can not mix different types - ( DDR3 with DDR4 or DDR4 with DDR5 ).

Even if they are of same type,
mixing different ram kits together can lead into ram compatibility issues.

Feb 19, 2023
Are they of same type?
For example you can not mix different types - ( DDR3 with DDR4 or DDR4 with DDR5 ).

Even if they are of same type,
mixing different ram kits together can lead into ram compatibility issues.
I am unsure if they are of the same type as I haven't been able to find it using my computer, though I cannot currently open either PC due to needing to get the storage off of one, but I believe they are all either DDR3 or DDR4 most likely the latter