Question I have a 6 pin psu will that work with a 8 pin gpu?

I have a psu that only have 6 pins can I used it on a 8 pin gpu with a 6+2

YES it will work. 6+2 is a splitter cable, so assuming your PSU has 1 6+2 PCI-e cable, then you can use it as an 8-pin. What's the make and Model number of your PSU ? And, which VIDEO CARD is it ?

anot4o.jpg

Jun 1, 2019
the 6+2 is the 8 pin, but its split for backwards compatibility with 6 pin cards.
if the card has a 8 pin, a 6+2 pin will work. a 6 pin alone will not.
what card do you have and what power supply model?
i have a msi gtx 1060 and my psu is a Topower silentEZ 700w (which only have 6 pins )

i have a msi gtx 1060 and my psu is a Topower silentEZ 700w (which only have 6 pins )

Then it won't work. You need to upgrade to a compatible PSU. If it lacks those extra 2/6 pin cables, then the power supply was not meant to power GPUs which require a min 8-PIN PCI/PEG connector. Also, your current PSU sin't the very best either. Poor quality unit. Replace it with some high-quality unit.

Jun 1, 2019
Then it won't work. You need to upgrade to a compatible PSU. If it lacks those extra 2/6 pin cables, then the power supply was not meant to power GPUs which require a min 8-PIN PCI/PEG connector. Also, your current PSU sin't the very best either. Poor quality unit. Replace it with some high-quality unit.
what are the chances of it firing my gpu if I get an adapter from 6 pin to 8 pin ?

I'll upgrade my psu asap .

Yes, kindly upgrade your power supply.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..

PSU brands to never buy from
  • Diablotek
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but i would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great psu's but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

Reactions: lux1109