Question I have a 970evo pro... will a WD SN850X really lower gaming load times ?

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
So i am trying to decide what would be the biggest upgrade for my PC.. i already got a 6900xt to replace my 1080ti, and a 5800x 3d to reeplace my 3800x.. But i am trying to decide.. more memory ? For 32gb, I have 16gb of 3600 cl16 g.skill.. Right now im at only 2.5gb memory free, alt tabbed from a game with like 6 windows open on the internet typing this out.. So im nearing maximum memory usage, and lots of pagefile seems cached i noticed.

OR should i upgrade the hard drive ? I have weird mixture of drives. I have a 970 evo pro, 500gb with windows and only 3-5 games installed. Anymore and its maxed out and i have to keep shuffling games or uninstalling them.. its frustrating actually having to do this, my next drive is an older 860 evo one of the larger SATA ssd's 1TB this is where i put secondary games i dont play much anymore on. The other drive is some 256gb Sata SSD i dont use its empty i forgot the name.. The last is a sata 1TB wd black old fashioned hdd i just put pictures and other junk on.. As you can see my HDDs are aging and some are 5-7 years old now.. The 970 EVO plus is also 2-3 years old now, running out of space and PCI-E 3..

Sooo more memory ? Or a 1 TB SN 850X ?? And retire that physical drive and probably the 256gb sata ssd.. ?? Not sure... My main question though... is the 850x REALLY faster for gaming load times ? I know the 970 evo pro is faster than the 860 for sure... but is the 850x really gonna do anything ? Or should I focus on getting more storage and maybe get a 2 TB nvme but one of those 3100/3100 drives to keep the price down... and retire all my sata drives completetly.. In my mind a bigger storage NVME is probably the better option to improve overall system performance by elimitating all those SATA drives... But then im also running out of ram too, and i hate the slow down with pagefile being cached and stuff..

Sorry i know i talk alot

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
So then going to more ram would probably be better than, im at 2.5gb free in a game alt tabbed typing this out, so much is cached into page file... but then 500gb nvme is frustrating having to move games and uninstall.. and i dunno why i still use that SATA old HDD..

So i am trying to decide what would be the biggest upgrade for my PC.. i already got a 6900xt to replace my 1080ti, and a 5800x 3d to reeplace my 3800x.. But i am trying to decide.. more memory ? For 32gb, I have 16gb of 3600 cl16 g.skill.. Right now im at only 2.5gb memory free, alt tabbed from a game with like 6 windows open on the internet typing this out.. So im nearing maximum memory usage, and lots of pagefile seems cached i noticed.

OR should i upgrade the hard drive ? I have weird mixture of drives. I have a 970 evo pro, 500gb with windows and only 3-5 games installed. Anymore and its maxed out and i have to keep shuffling games or uninstalling them.. its frustrating actually having to do this, my next drive is an older 860 evo one of the larger SATA ssd's 1TB this is where i put secondary games i dont play much anymore on. The other drive is some 256gb Sata SSD i dont use its empty i forgot the name.. The last is a sata 1TB wd black old fashioned hdd i just put pictures and other junk on.. As you can see my HDDs are aging and some are 5-7 years old now.. The 970 EVO plus is also 2-3 years old now, running out of space and PCI-E 3..

Sooo more memory ? Or a 1 TB SN 850X ?? And retire that physical drive and probably the 256gb sata ssd.. ?? Not sure... My main question though... is the 850x REALLY faster for gaming load times ? I know the 970 evo pro is faster than the 860 for sure... but is the 850x really gonna do anything ? Or should I focus on getting more storage and maybe get a 2 TB nvme but one of those 3100/3100 drives to keep the price down... and retire all my sata drives completetly.. In my mind a bigger storage NVME is probably the better option to improve overall system performance by elimitating all those SATA drives... But then im also running out of ram too, and i hate the slow down with pagefile being cached and stuff..

Sorry i know i talk alot
Your call as to direction to go my pref would be a 500GB ssd for the OS and apps and a ssd for storage......clean up the storage clutter.

Nvme is nice as you have less cable clutter.

Ram?.....if you have the bucks bump it up or spend a little time not running unneeded stuff.

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
ya i got a NVME, but think maybe going to a bigger NVME to eliminate the SATA ssd's is the way to go.. I dunno.. In a way i feel my pc upgrades i did.. im kinda almost not happy with em.

I got rid of the 1080ti, for a 6900xt.. then got a 5800x 3d, and a new monitor im questioning, and now the ram/hdd issue.. if i get more ram, is it REALLY worth to spend 100$ on a AM4 dead end system.. should i have gotten this 6900xt.. or got a 7900xtx instead of the 5800x and 6900xt combo.. I dunno.. with AMD claiming 22% more performance with the new 7000 3d cpus now im wondering.. should i return the 5800x 3d..

But in the end i cant even get AM5 anyway, im maxed money wise, so i guess the upgrades i did were the best.. I just dunno if a 6900xt is future proof beyond a year or so..

ya i got a NVME, but think maybe going to a bigger NVME to eliminate the SATA ssd's is the way to go.. I dunno.. In a way i feel my pc upgrades i did.. im kinda almost not happy with em.

I got rid of the 1080ti, for a 6900xt.. then got a 5800x 3d, and a new monitor im questioning, and now the ram/hdd issue.. if i get more ram, is it REALLY worth to spend 100$ on a AM4 dead end system.. should i have gotten this 6900xt.. or got a 7900xtx instead of the 5800x and 6900xt combo.. I dunno.. with AMD claiming 22% more performance with the new 7000 3d cpus now im wondering.. should i return the 5800x 3d..

But in the end i cant even get AM5 anyway, im maxed money wise, so i guess the upgrades i did were the best.. I just dunno if a 6900xt is future proof beyond a year or so..
There is always something new.......bigger/better/faster.

If you try to chase that you better have a big fat wallet.

ID weak areas of what you have.....see what it will cost to fix that area and then make a choice.

Reactions: candymancan

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
yea i know, guess ur right, this is just the first time in 23 years ive had to buy a used video card 2 years old 1 gen behind. And a cpu 1 generation behind. Feels weird lol.. the video card prices really screwed me, and my monitor dying screwed me out of nearly 300$ towards a video card.

But this Dell 2722DGM the pixels seem less than my prior 1440 27 inch curved va panel.. everything seems Jagged text.. pictures.. turning down sharpness helps but then gets blurry lol... uhg its weird because both monitor are 109 PPI and .23 pixel pitch... but this one seems like it has way less than its advertising.

Anyway ur right, i dont have a fat wallet... Like i did 5 years ago when i spent 4,000$ on my system lol.. Wish i did but hey