Question I have a AMD Ryzen 7 3800x and my PC keeps randomly freezing and restarting.

Sep 20, 2020
I recently upgraded my PC, and in doing so my pc has been freezing and restarting. The first time it did this I had a blue screen, me being the idiot thought a simple restart will fix it. I restarted and I didn't get a blue screen and now it just freezes and restarts. I don't remember the error message. I told this to my friends who know a lot more about PC's than me and he seemed to think it was the CPU. I was just wondering if there are any conflicting drivers or what I can do.

PC Specs:
gtx 1050 to (upgrading to a 3080)
MSI b450 tomahawk max
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
32 GB Corsair LPX 3600
700 watt PSU ( possibly need an upgrade for the 3080)

I need help as I use this for college. Just throw ideas out.

Sep 20, 2020
I recently upgraded my PC, and in doing so my pc has been freezing and restarting. The first time it did this I had a blue screen, me being the idiot thought a simple restart will fix it. I restarted and I didn't get a blue screen and now it just freezes and restarts. I don't remember the error message. I told this to my friends who know a lot more about PC's than me and he seemed to think it was the CPU. I was just wondering if there are any conflicting drivers or what I can do.

PC Specs:
gtx 1050 to (upgrading to a 3080)
MSI b450 tomahawk max
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
32 GB Corsair LPX 3600
700 watt PSU ( possibly need an upgrade for the 3080)

I need help as I use this for college. Just throw ideas out.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Please see this guide for details and files to include on a BSOD post :)

Please also post your PSU make and model specifically.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020
I should have said, sorry. I upgraded from a pre built PC, I am not sure exactly what each individual bit in it was but I had 16 GB DDR3 ram and an I7 2600k processor. I have reinstalled windows and got all the driver for all the new stuff.

Sep 20, 2020
I am not actually very good with computers myself and to be honest I have no clue what a Linux Live CD is. I gave my PC to my friend over the weekend and he has stress tested it and did memtests and it was working fine. I came to pick it up and it started restarting again.

Sep 20, 2020
I don't have the 3080 yet sadly, and my parts are stated above. It started after I built it, I could have plugged something in wrong or it could be loose but I have checked multiple times.

Sep 20, 2020
Another thing to add is that sometimes it takes ages for the PC to stop working and other times it takes 1 minute. One way I can almost certainly make it restart is when I install Maya and watch YouTube in the background. Whilst doing that it usually crashes 4 mins in.