[SOLVED] I have a B150m Bazooka motherboard and need help finding RAM for it!

supermantroll

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
Hello, my rig is a prebuilt Cyberpower PC.

Specs
CPU: i5 6402p 2.8
mobo: b150m bazooka
psu:ATNG 600W 80+

I recently purchased a 1080ti and I plan to install that, along side that I want to upgrade my current 8GB DDR4 2133MHZ to 16GB, the current stick thats on my mobo is a "Patriot Viper DDR4 2133mhz" and I can't seem to be able to find an exact one like it. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
Well adding the 1080ti will be quite the extra when it comes to the overall power draw of the system.
That ATNG 80+ PSU only supplies 540W on the +12V rail... you can consider it a 540W PSU instead, since +12V supplies power to the main power hungry components. It uses an old design(group regulated) and I'm pretty sure it's a really low quality unit.

Before you install the 1080ti in your system I'll recommend changing that PSU... 550W from a decent quality model should be enough, but you could get a 650W unit... having extra headroom for future upgrades won't hurt.
The Corsair CX/CXM(grey labeled, 2017 models) are solid and affordable at the same time.

Also, beware that mixing and matching modules(even if it's the same model) is...
Well adding the 1080ti will be quite the extra when it comes to the overall power draw of the system.
That ATNG 80+ PSU only supplies 540W on the +12V rail... you can consider it a 540W PSU instead, since +12V supplies power to the main power hungry components. It uses an old design(group regulated) and I'm pretty sure it's a really low quality unit.

Before you install the 1080ti in your system I'll recommend changing that PSU... 550W from a decent quality model should be enough, but you could get a 650W unit... having extra headroom for future upgrades won't hurt.
The Corsair CX/CXM(grey labeled, 2017 models) are solid and affordable at the same time.

Also, beware that mixing and matching modules(even if it's the same model) is not guaranteed to work... there's a small chance there might be compatibility issues. This is the reason why memory is sold in kits, they're tested working together.

With that said, as long as the frequency and timings(advertised as CL on the sticks) are identical on both modules, you can try with a different memory brand too... just make sure that the module is returnable in case of incompatibility.

Reactions: boju
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like Patriot aren't manufacturing that particular dimm anymore. Actually in hind sight, you may have dodged a possible bullet mixing ram. It may have worked but there's a chance they wouldn't have been compatible due to minute material differences during manufacture.

I agree with Chump and make sure you can return if it doesn't work. Or no fuss and buy a kit of two from the likes of Gskill or Corsair.

Also agreed on the psu dude. Really shouldn't risk the 1080Ti on it.

supermantroll

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014

Also, beware that mixing and matching modules(even if it's the same model) is not guaranteed to work... there's a small chance there might be compatibility issues. This is the reason why memory is sold in kits, they're tested working together.

With that said, as long as the frequency and timings(advertised as CL on the sticks) are identical on both modules, you can try with a different memory brand too... just make sure that the module is returnable in case of incompatibility.
Based off your advice I think my best course of action is to sell my current rig in its entirety, (but keep the SSD) and just purchase completely new everything. I think it's appropriate since I've just spent 450 on a 1080ti.

edit: and also. I read that a 600W PSU is more then enough to power all my components including the 1080ti as it only requires 250w~ or so

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wattage isn't the only thing to be concerned about. It's the quality of the unit and efficiency at peak usage (whole system). ATNG is an OEM power supply and not much info on it that i can see, to determine if it would be safe. It probably is an OK PSU, but is a risk.

You're better off building a newer system though i agree. You'll get more out of the 1080Ti then you would with your current i5 which would hit max usages and stutter depending on game/resolution and fps.

Based off your advice I think my best course of action is to sell my current rig in its entirety, (but keep the SSD) and just purchase completely new everything. I think it's appropriate since I've just spent 450 on a 1080ti.

edit: and also. I read that a 600W PSU is more then enough to power all my components including the 1080ti as it only requires 250w~ or so

Not the power output is what concerns me... it is the quality of your PSU that's a big question mark. Also that's a 540W PSU... I explained in my previous comment why.

I agree with the platform change... a ryzen 1600AF/2600 or even 3600(if you have the budget) + a B450 board would be a better pairing for your 1080ti.

Last edited: