I have a boat with multiple smart tv's. The marina has wifi, but the signal is weak. Need to boost signal

pmercer62

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Need to boost a signal sent by the Marina so that I can run smart TV's inside my boat. I would place the booster/repeater in the fly bridge of the boat so that it could pick up the signal and boost it so that I can receive it on my devices inside the boat. Being able to password protect it would be a bonus so that others don't piggyback off the booster, reducing my speeds.

Solution
You best bet is to use 2 pieces of equipment. You want a bridge device to talk to the marina wifi and a router/AP to talk to your equipment.

You could use something like a engenius enh202 or ubiquiti nano station. These can be mounted outside so you would put it in the location that gets the best signal. You then run a Ethernet cable to your AP device to provide signals to your tv....you can also just plug in ethernet cables if the tv support it. Pretty much any router can be used as a AP

This is a generally referred to as a repeater but it does not suffer from the issues you see in the "range extender" device you see sold for $29.99.

In those device it transmits a signal directly on the same radio as it received it, in effect...
You best bet is to use 2 pieces of equipment. You want a bridge device to talk to the marina wifi and a router/AP to talk to your equipment.

You could use something like a engenius enh202 or ubiquiti nano station. These can be mounted outside so you would put it in the location that gets the best signal. You then run a Ethernet cable to your AP device to provide signals to your tv....you can also just plug in ethernet cables if the tv support it. Pretty much any router can be used as a AP

This is a generally referred to as a repeater but it does not suffer from the issues you see in the "range extender" device you see sold for $29.99.

In those device it transmits a signal directly on the same radio as it received it, in effect interfering with itself.

This also solve the problem of other people leaching off your repeater since you can use different SSID and passwords on the connection from your AP to the TV. The all in one box repeater things the SSID and passwords must match.

Solution