Question I have a broken hard drive. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin200HUN

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
I have a broken hard drive. It's a 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 (0001).
My friend got it from work. I have no idea what's on it or what file system it is. I'm just trying to see if there is any chance to save it.
When I plug it in in starts clicking loudly. Programs are able to see what kind of drive it is, but are unable to format it or do anything else.
I don't have any expreience whit stuff like this but I have access to linux so tell me what tools I need to send more information about the drive.

When I plug it in in starts clicking loudly. Programs are able to see what kind of drive it is, but are unable to format it or do anything else.
Throw it out and get a new one.

If you needed to get data from it, you could use professional data recovery services.
But since you don't need the data, then there's no reason to do anything with a failed drive.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The clicking sound is a sign that it's beyond end-user repair.
"Programs" read the small amount of ID information on the firmware. Such bits of data are on the electronics board under the HDD, not inside on the platters.

Status
Not open for further replies.