I have a cooling problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2018
I need help with cooling my laptop. It runs at 45-57 degrees C when Im gaming on the battery, but when I plug it up while Im gaming it goes to 60-77 degrees C. I have messed with some settings but none seem to work. Main problem is with the CPU. I have lowed settings on games to medium which is the lowest I will go considering that it can do 1080p high to ultra. Laptop is new so its not dust, I just think there is a setting im missing. The only thing I run with my game is a chat app and thats it so its not that I have like 10 tabs running at the same time. Also the battery tends to drain in what feels like 2-4 hours which is the only downside to this computer thats why I want to fix the temp when its plugged in.

I think i found the answer, I just tested a new laptop with an 8th gen i5. The processor runs at 50c on battery when loaded. However, It will run 75c on charge while running prime 95. The reason for this is that even while fully loaded, on battery, the cpu refuses to turbo, running around 2ghz. When on battery the cpu fans start to whirr up and the cpu will jump to an all core turbo around 3.2ghz. This is likely the same behavior exibited by your laptop. You could check clocks in task manager why loading the cpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not always. 8th gen laptops have 3 different power levels, like 10w (power saver), 15w (normal) and 25w (turbo). You'll generally only get 25w output (3.? GHz) when connected to line voltage, otherwise the cpu runs at 15w (1.8GHz usually) on battery. It generally takes a full gaming laptop with multiple user adjustable bios settings to change that, for most general use HP, Lenovo etc the bios is almost fully locked up. I'd love to set my HP at its full 3.4GHz (i5-8250U) at 25w, but on battery it's stuck (100% power plan in windows) at 1.8GHz, 15w.

Ok. That might explain why I only got a 501 in cinebench and my CPU wasn't turboing. I think it was on battery. I noticed when the CPU was fully turboed up it was pulling 25 watts according to monitor, however when it wasn't turboing it drew like 15watt. I may look in my acer bios. ACERs are typically less locked down and less proprietary from my findings.

Hey, thanks for that bit of info. My CPU now gets an 821 in cinebench on charge, turboing up to 4.0GHZ! Pretty good for just plugging it in! On battery, the CPU gets a 501 in cinebench, only running at 2.3ghz, So it makes sense your CPU runs hotter plugged in, since it is running much faster.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, laptop manufacturers have finally figured out that heat is the enemy, and a battery is a source of heat while discharging. Added to cpu/gpu heat under loads and all that heat does only one thing, mess up the battery chemical process. Older laptops had severely short battery lives, made even shorter by excessive heat over long periods of use, you'd be lucky to get a full length charge after only 6 months.

Because of costs and Chinese cheap replacements, there's little profit in batteries, so having one that lasts has become a selling point vrs a detriment. I'd rather spend $500 on a laptop that'll last 7hrs than $400 on one that lasts just 2-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.