I have a DELL OptiPlex 320 with a Pentium D 925 Processor. I would like to upgr

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattr1111

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
I have a DELL OptiPlex 320 with a Pentium D 925 chip. I would like to upgrade the processor to a quad core if possible. Any suggestions? It currently has a LGA 775 slot. What are my options?

Hello mattr1111;

First thing you want to do is ID the exact motherboard in your DELL OptiPlex 320. You can do that use a free utility called CPU-Z. Once installed and running, look under the Mainboard tab for the Manufacturer/Model numbers plus the Chipset and Rev numbers.

cpu-z%20mainboard.png

You are running a Ati Xpress 1100 chipset or also called a 200.
The best chip it can support is the PD 360 at 3.6 ghz from my reading.
Check out this link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_D#Presler
What video card are you running since if you have the stock X300 in there it would be a great improvement if you upgraded the card since the X300 is horrible.
There are some decent PCI x 16 cards for not alot of money <75 dollars US that would really help. You would just have to watch for power requirements based on your psu.
If you went to a PD 360 and a better GPU that would help.
BUT watch the cost since if the cost of the chip and video card are more than a 150 dollars US it would be better to build a new system.
Check Ebay for the CPU and GPU just watch the seller ratings.
Good Luck

It really depends on what the OP is doing with their system.
Unless they want to do high end HD gaming then telling them to buy a new system without knowing how they are going to use it is ignorant.
A PD at high speed with a decent GPU can handle most computer tasks.
Unless all you use your computer for is GAMING...

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Upgrading from one PD to another PD CPU is a nonesense.

If it cheap to upgrade and would do what they needed to do then it would just be logical.
So if the OP uses at for work that requires more power or if they want to do HD gaming on multiple monitors then of course they would have to do a new system.
The OP never stated how they use their system
BTW alot of old processors and decent video cards are cheap now and can extend
the life of your computer.
What would I know I am only a A+ tech.

morda

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
The Optiplex 320 will take a 800MHz FSB Conroe or Allendale based Core 2 Duo. I have E4600 2.4 GHz running in mine with no problem. I also tried running 1066 FSB E6600 Core 2 Duo, but it would only run at 800 MHz fsb resulting a CPU running at 1.8Ghz instead of 2.4 GHz

that is cool
on Ati website the spec sheet for that chipset under compatible CPUS doesnt list the C2Ds
Good info to know

davei42261

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

I just purchased this system to replace my dead P4 system (XP)...
I'm going to purchase an E6400 as you have. I read that this motherboard
only supports 4GB Ram if you do not use an external Video card. Do you have
experience running 4GB RAM and or an external video card with the Optiplex 320 (and with your E6400)? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.