[SOLVED] I have a Dell XPS 8900 and looking to upgrade the CPU, can this handle an i9 with no problems?

Aug 27, 2021
My current:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz
Installed RAM 40.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 2 GB

Solution
Hey there,

Sadly there are problems with your idea. There is no I9 model CPU for that mobo. You're getting the Gens mixed up.

You would need a new motherboard, possibly PSU, and possibly ram too, depending on what you purchase. If you were sticking with an I9 CPU, then you need to look at Skylake architecture and newer, and an appropriate mobo from that range.

I'd ask the question, why do you want to upgrade? If it's to game, then your GPU will hold you back more than the CPU. It's basic for gaming nowadays.
Hey there,

Sadly there are problems with your idea. There is no I9 model CPU for that mobo. You're getting the Gens mixed up.

You would need a new motherboard, possibly PSU, and possibly ram too, depending on what you purchase. If you were sticking with an I9 CPU, then you need to look at Skylake architecture and newer, and an appropriate mobo from that range.

I'd ask the question, why do you want to upgrade? If it's to game, then your GPU will hold you back more than the CPU. It's basic for gaming nowadays.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 27, 2021
Hey there,

Microsoft said the new windows 11 coming out will not run on my system, says my processor will not run it, so i need a solution to fix that. I truly appreciate your reply.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I cannot really recommend doing a system upgrade with/inside a proprietary computer and case. There are a number of issues you could likely run into. Best to start considering that next build. 11 will run on most anything for now and tips and tricks for that are readily available. You have until what is projected to be October to build the official spec. if you have to have it on release.