Question I have a difficult task

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
I know the perfect case doesn’t exist, but I’m having the hardest time finding something worth considering. I’ve looked for weeks. I have a list of wishes, and I’m totally open to suggestions. My computer sits on my desk, to my right, so I can see inside the window. (I don’t care about RGB stuff, but I do prefer a mid-size tower)
  • I would love having the I/O somewhere on the front bottom, or window side, where I can easily access them and plug in my headphones, usb, etc. Everything I find is on top, top front, or somewhere inconvenient.
  • I’ll want unobstructed top ventilation, since I’ll be using the new Thermosiphon, later in the year. You’ll have to visit IceGiant’s website to understand what I’m getting at.
  • (I do use a Blu-Ray drive, but that may interfere with the thermosiphon, due to its size, so I will modify the case or figure something else out. No big deal.)
  • I REALLY want to mount my 2080 triple slot gpu vertically. I would love to see the fans… but I also use a sound card…. So two riser cables or a case that houses 3 vertical slots and gets good air to the intakes on the card.
I’ve only found two candidates, so far:
The Core P3 and the Evolv X
I’d appreciate any input. Thanks

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unfortunately, I see two conflicting elements to your requirements:
The IceGiant cooler (or at least the prototype, I know the production model is supposed to be a bit smaller) will overhang the motherboard by a solid 1" at least - either to the top, or to the side, depending on configuration.

That really necessitates an E-ATX compatible case, to ensure there's room - but those don't tend to accommodate 5.25" drives...and when they do, they're probably not going to have room for such a massive cooler.

As you've found, front panel IO anywhere other than the top, or top of the front panel, is pretty rare.

Most large cases should accommodate vertical GPU mounts.... either natively, or via some modding.

So, with those requirements, I could see the P3 working - but the IO isn't on the bottom or side...
The EvolvX, I don't think you'd be able to accommodate everything - and again, IO isn't where you want it, it's on top.

With your requirements, the Tower 900 might work.... IO is at the top of the side, so doesn't change a whole bunch.... and you'd have to do some planning to get a vertical mounted GPU to be viable.... but I think it could work.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zk...ower-900-atx-full-tower-case-ca-1h1-00f1wn-00
51T%2BhPUUDwL.jpg

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks @Barty1884
I'm waiting to hear back from IceGiant with their opinion.
The P3 would work, and the IO is much more accessible where they have it. Optical will just be thrown in there somewhere. But I'm just not sure how well the case will be, overall. Dust, spiders, noise, and what not. I'd definitely need two riser cables and hopefully have no interference.
The Evolv would solve the card mounting issue, but GPU temps may be higher. And they use glass, or I'd just cut out a section. Maybe a plexiglass conversion. Optical on that would just be velcro'd or something to the side. LOL. I'd just have to deal the with IO being where it is.

I did look into that giant box tower, but it's just too much for what I'll be doing.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Last edited: