[SOLVED] I have a feeling my new GPU is running just a teeny tiny little bit slower than it should be.

Floob

Commendable
Dec 29, 2019
I have just upgraded to a MSI RX 6600 XT from a RX 480 which died a few weeks ago. This GPU is running pretty good on all kinds of benchmarks, but I have my doubts that something may be slightly bottlenecking it. I think i may be a PCIE 3.0 thing but I am not sure. On time spy, the graphics score is 9 970, and that with a few overclocks in the AMD driver. How to OVERCLOCK and UNDERVOLT RX 6600XT | ADRENALIN 2021 Easy Tutorial - YouTube < i used all of the settings presented here.
Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
8x2 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance
MSI RX 6600XT
B450 Pro4
240GB SSD
1TB HDD
620w Intertech PSU (which is somehow still alive after 2 years of usage)
(I have SAM turned on btw)
Notes:
Minecraft has been running weirdly since i upgraded to the ryzen 5 3600 from a ryzen 3 2300x; 140-200 fps rather than 300 and up that i used to have
i know battlefield 5 is weirdly optimized but i have tried almost everything and gpu usage is almost always at around 70% to 80%; cpu usage being at 80%- rarely 90%

Solution
I have just upgraded to a MSI RX 6600 XT from a RX 480 which died a few weeks ago. This GPU is running pretty good on all kinds of benchmarks, but I have my doubts that something may be slightly bottlenecking it. I think i may be a PCIE 3.0 thing but I am not sure. On time spy, the graphics score is 9 970, and that with a few overclocks in the AMD driver. How to OVERCLOCK and UNDERVOLT RX 6600XT | ADRENALIN 2021 Easy Tutorial - YouTube < i used all of the settings presented here.
Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI RX 6600XT
B450 Pro4
240GB SSD
1TB HDD
Notes:
Minecraft has been running weirdly since i upgraded...

poorbugger

Distinguished
Few games actually show the difference between pcie 4.0 and pcie 3.0 in terms of performance and even if there's a difference, it's not that big. As usual, if it's a new gpu, did you use ddu to uninstall the previous drivers before swapping to the rx 6600xt?

Floob

Commendable
Dec 29, 2019
Few games actually show the difference between pcie 4.0 and pcie 3.0 in terms of performance and even if there's a difference, it's not that big. As usual, if it's a new gpu, did you use ddu to uninstall the previous drivers before swapping to the rx 6600xt?
yes, i did! performance got better afterwards (in terms of microstutters and stuff). and yes, it is a new gpu but i think this is somewhat strange behaviour for a completely new component. in novabench for example, while the rx480 was like in the 90th percentile; the rx6600xt is in the 30th percentile; i completely formatted my drives and reinstalled windows; but it still showed that the gpu's percentile was 30. with furmark on 1080p i got like ~9330 score

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI RX 6600XT
B450 Pro4
240GB SSD
1TB HDD
Notes:
Minecraft has been running weirdly since i upgraded to the ryzen 5 3600 from a ryzen 3 2300x; 140-200 fps rather than 300 and up that i used to have
i know battlefield 5 is weirdly optimized but i have tried almost everything and gpu usage is almost always at around 70% to 80%; cpu usage being at 80%- rarely 90%
If you want another dead GPU or generally more dead hardware, keep using that PSU. If on the other hand you want a safer system then buy a proper PSU that actually delivers reliably the wattage on the sticker.

Seriously, that PSU is bad and should have never been used in a gaming rig. It doesn't matter that it has lasted 2 years, you don't really know how much damage has already done and if it was responsible of your previous GPU dying.

Other than that the only other thing that I can see from your specs, is the slightly slower ram which if it were 3200+ you would have gotten a small performance boost. I don't think that it's that significant of a boost since you are already at 3000MHz.

How are your temps of CPU and GPU idle and while gaming? Do you have the latest chipset drivers, Windows updates, bios?
Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.

Edit for typos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unolocogringo
Solution

Floob

Commendable
Dec 29, 2019
If you want another dead GPU or generally more dead hardware, keep using that PSU. If on the other hand you want a safer system then buy a proper PSU that actually delivers reliably the wattage on the sticker.

Seriously, that PSU is bad and should have never been used in a gaming rig. It doesn't matter that it has lasted 2 years, you don't really know how much damage has already done and if it was responsible of your previous GPU dying.

Other than that the only other thing that I can see from your specs, is the slightly slower ram which if it were 3200+ you would have gotten a small performance boost. I don't think that it's that significant of a boost since you are already at 3000MHz.

How are your temps of CPU and GPU idle and wild gaming? Do you have the latest chipset drivers, Windows updates, bios?
Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
my gpu temps when idle are around 50C and when gaming they are around 65-66, they don t go over 70. my cpu temps when idle are around 40C and while gaming they are almost always around 70C. I do have the latest gpu, chipset and windows drivers and the bios is updated to the newest version.
Asrock B450 Pro4 Performance Results - UserBenchmark