I have a file on my desktop that can't be deleted

d0ct0r_2

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Can anybody help me , i already tried to delete it using cmd but it didnt worked.When i try to delete it trough cmd it cant find that file it has 0 KB.

Solution
Filesystem corruption can also cause problems like this. Open a command windows as administrator and run "chkdsk <drive_letter>:" and answer "Y" to any prompt to check on the next boot.

If that doesn't clear it you can boot a Linux Live DVD/USB and attempt to delete it. Linux ignores all NTFS permissions and flags.

Dynomite54

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

ok this is odd then check its properties. Any thing that may seem off about it let me know.

d0ct0r_2

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
That file was a subtitle and when I open it with text editor i can see it's a subtitle , but it doesnt have data type like .sub or .srt ,i think that's problem why I cant delete it , what do you think?

Filesystem corruption can also cause problems like this. Open a command windows as administrator and run "chkdsk <drive_letter>:" and answer "Y" to any prompt to check on the next boot.

If that doesn't clear it you can boot a Linux Live DVD/USB and attempt to delete it. Linux ignores all NTFS permissions and flags.

Solution