Question I have a fx-6300 with my EVGA 1660 ti 6GB, is there something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2019
In my pc I currently have a AMD fx-6300 cpu paired with an EVGA GTX 1660Ti 6GB. I've seen many benchmark videos, and all of them get good frames in games such as GTA around 80 on Very High settings. I have looked at this myself, but I am getting max 45 frames. I know the cpu is quite old, but I can't upgrade for a while. I haven't overclocked, but I just have stock cooling, so I can only reach about 3.8 GHz. I'm also not a computer genius, but I am upgrading one I have currently.

Apr 4, 2019
Are you talking about getting benchmarks of 70-80 with an FX-6300 combined with a GTX 1660 Ti? Without some overclocking and a better CPU cooler, you are bottle necking your GPU with your CPU. As stated above, you still will not get past this bottleneck without a better CPU. You could budget upgrade to an FX-8320 or something similar, but without moving to a newer Intel or AMD platform your options are limited.
If you want to check bottle necking, you can use GPU and CPU monitoring software to monitor your performance. MSI afterburner comes bundled with RivaTuner, which should do an adequate job for you. If your CPU is at 100% while the GPU is significantly lower than that(50-70%?)during gaming, you are bottlenecking your CPU. Link for afterburner below:
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Thing is, how come other people I've watched benchmarks of can get 70-80 frames
In the same games and also using FX6300 at the same clock frequency as yours?

If you use a grossly over-powered GPU for a given CPU, your performance is limited by the CPU and you get the highest FPS your CPU is capable of and the GPU goes under-used. In the opposite extreme, you get all the FPS the GPU is capable of and the CPU goes under-used. A weaker GPU in the first case won't magically make the CPU any better, same with the CPU for the GPU in the second case. In a "balanced" system, both components are similarly likely to be a bottleneck, which is neither good or bad performance-wise, only typically most cost-effective for the overall performance.

Reactions: King_V

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Alas, your current CPU will be outperformed by even 5-7 year old i3's in gaming.....

If you can hang on till summer, you can evaluate the performance of newly released Ryzen CPUs and plan your CPU/RAM/mainboard upgrade then..which would likely double/triple your FPS...

Feb 20, 2020
You should try an lower all the CPU demanding graphics settings, like population density and variety, fxaa, shadows, and reflextions. This should boost performance also enable vsync so your CPU won't be sending more than 60 frames ps to your gpu this should leave a bit of overhead once thing get a bit heavier

Thing is, how come other people I've watched benchmarks of can get 70-80 frames
Looking at peoples benchmarks of the FX-6300 with various GPUs, it looks like that CPU should be capable of at least 60fps with medium settings at 1080p. Upgrading to an FX-8xxx won't even help much as it's only a maybe 5% faster unless heavily overclocked, which can already be done with your 6300. Upgrading your memory might help if you are using slower than 1600Mhz, but ultimately you are better off saving toward a new system.

Here , drop the 1660ti into something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
The Ryzen 5 1600 AF (YD1600BBAFBOX) is much cheaper at around $85 than the 2600 at $110-120 and is the same Zen+ CPU as the 2600. They are within a 1-2% difference in performance so seems like a much better option. I would put the money saved on the CPU into a better motherboard and memory kit. https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28

Unfortunately the FX cpus are very weak. Move to Ryzen in my opinion. I guess you could get an older office machine with an i7 3770 or higher and transplant your parts, but those systems would still be ddr3. Honestly, especially with ddr5 coming probably in the next couple of years, you need to look at a newer system similar to the one listed above. Trust me you will see a huge difference.

The 2600 should not cost 165. At that price, go for a 3600. But a 2600 should be available for 120. If you really are on a tight budget, get this chip if the board supports it.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28

Status
Not open for further replies.