Discussion I have a G4560 with 32 Gb ram and a GTX 1080 Ti, AMA!

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Its my backup rig while I'm getting a RMA for my overheating 8700K and waiting for a 9700K replacement. I was just about to delid my 8700K but realized I should contact intel for an RMA as it was also a terribly voltage hungry and poor OCing chip, and because they no longer make them they're refunding it. Also waiting for my new NVME Adata drives.

Currently everything lags and stutters yay!

I originally had a G4400 and didnt want to even upgrade it, but I found the G4560 for just £39.99 and got £30 for my G4400 so I did it. I wish I could have a cheap backup 2c/4t that overclocked, but its not worth paying for a Z board just for that, and even mini itx AMD boards cost too much more than a H series board.

I'm also planning to see what Intel release in their next gen too and see if I can get anything better with a £70ish mobo and £50ish CPU to play with but otherwise nah.

Last edited:
Is there a question in there?

If you are referring to the lag/stutters, well your CPU is bottle-necking the crap out of your otherwise powerful enough system. once the CPU maxes, which it will very easily, it will stutter. Not much else to say really.

Get your 9900k in there, probs will stop then.

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Is there a question in there?

If you are referring to the lag/stutters, well your CPU is bottle-necking the crap out of your otherwise powerful enough system. once the CPU maxes, which it will very easily, it will stutter. Not much else to say really.

Get your 9900k in there, probs will stop then.

No it was just intended as a fun thread, you may ask me questions if you want. The question flair was added automatically.

Are you trying to use the sane motherboard with the kaby lake g4560 as the coffelake and coffee lake r cpus?

2 cores is not enough for gaming. Even 4 cores are quickly becoming obsolete. Id expect a cpu bottlemeck and stutter.

No ofc not, I updated my sig to refplect that. I have two cheapo THermaltake Core V1 cases, both a black and white one, and a Z370 board in one and H170 in the other. On the note of the lag the current game I'm testing / playing with is actually single threaded and simply poorly optimized. The devs are working on improving the performance while making a sequel on the same engine, and will release the performance improvements for free on the first game.

I have an old build log and pics here if you wish to see it: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/JHHiB

Also a more current pic: View: https://i.imgur.com/J69KwIX.jpg

Everyone ought to have a backup rig for when things go wrong and to test stuff.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
The only thing Intel can release at this point that might be interesting next to AMD's 3rd-gen Ryzen would be lower-priced CPUs since Intel cannot provide meaningfully higher performance per core until it masters something beyond 14nm. I hope the price cut rumors turn out to be true.

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The only thing Intel can release at this point that might be interesting next to AMD's 3rd-gen Ryzen would be lower-priced CPUs since Intel cannot provide meaningfully higher performance per core until it masters something beyond 14nm. I hope the price cut rumors turn out to be true.

Yes. I want a £50 CPU thats better than my G4560 for a better backup.

Ryzen 1200 is £50, but the mini ITX motherboards are too much. I might get whatever comes after that one from AMD or next Gen Intel, but at the most £150 for the CPU and motherboard.

Getting my 1080 Ti into a non reinforced PCI-E slot is also a struggle.

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I don't see what a reinforced PCIe slot has to do with that, those are mainly to (hopefully) prevent the slot from getting ripped off the board when shipping or moving a pre-built system.

The low retention force makes the PCI-E slot sink down under the cards weight making it difficult to slot in.

InvalidError

Titan
The low retention force makes the PCI-E slot sink down under the cards weight making it difficult to slot in.
A reinforced slot will still "sink in" as it does not do anything to prevent board flex along the slot axis. Also, it isn't "low retention force" that causes board flex, it is high insertion force - slots have to be tight to guarantee good and reliable electrical continuity at high frequencies.

I think the g4560 system would be a nice htpc rig with the small case.

Youtuber lgr put a g4560 system into an altair 8800 clone.

The altair 8800 is sold old it doesnt even have a keyboardnor monitor. You program it with switches and leds.

Now its running Crysis with a kaby lake CPU.

Last edited: