Question Is my H61M-DS2 compatible with rx 580?

As of bottleneck, it will all depend on the game. My old i5 3570 bottlenecked my GTX 1060 6GB in BF5 and SOTR, but on older games like Diablo 3, Euro Truck Simulator 2 or Far Cry 5 it was good enough.

But as Wolf wrote, I wouldnt waste any money on the i5 9400F, in 1.5 years youre probably going to be able to get a B550 AM4 motherboard with a Ryzen 5/7 4xxx cpu that will perform way better than the i5 9400 and it will make more sense as an investment.

Cheers

Reactions: sdedu77
The gtx 1660 is a better card. The RX 580 still performs decently but uses a good bit of power. So that said, if you've got the money, the 1660 is the way to go. I would suggest however while you're at it, look into the 1660 super. I don't think it costs much more than the normal 1660, but they used gddr6 instead of gddr5. I think in some games, it comes close to the 1660 ti. So it would be worth a look.

Big thing the RX 580 has going is pricing. But if you're looking at that, you might as well look at the RX 590.

However, on the gtx 1660. Just looking on my local microcenters site, the cheapest 1660 is about 210. The cheapest 1660 super was 230. So honestly at that point, I would recommend spending another 20 dollars for the better card.

WildCard999

Titan
I am planning on upgrading my cpu in maximum 1.5 years.(to a i5 9400f)
In 1.5 years that 9400F would be a little dated and something else better for the price will probably already be out.

As for your question, the 3570 would be fine to pair with the 1660 as long as your playing at 1080P or higher but it also does come down to the game. On the more CPU heavy titles it may hold it back a little bit but even still, it's a massive improvement over the 3570 iGPU if that's what you've been gaming on.

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
In 1.5 years that 9400F would be a little dated and something else better for the price will probably already be out.

As for your question, the 3570 would be fine to pair with the 1660 as long as your playing at 1080P or higher but it also does come down to the game. On the more CPU heavy titles it may hold it back a little bit but even still, it's a massive improvement over the 3570 iGPU if that's what you've been gaming on.
I think ı decided on the 1650 Super.What do you think about that card?

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
The rx 590 performs a bit worse (10-15% less fps) than a 1660S, but is like 25% cheaper.

But the 1660's are quite power efficient compared to the older RX cards. If temps in your case are a big concern, go for a 1660 super, great value. The 1660S is only around 30$ more than a normal 1660, and worth the extra money IMO.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 3 things to consider. (apart from game limitations).
  1. Cpu. It sets the fps, pre-renders all the frames possible.
  2. Gpu. It puts those frames up on the screen according to resolution and detail settings.
  3. Monitor. Resolution and refresh rate.

All 3 need to be somewhat balanced. It's kinda pointless to have a 9900k and 2080ti on a 1080p/60Hz monitor or a 3570 and 1650S on a 4k/120Hz monitor etc.

You ask about bottlenecks, but there's always an imbalance somewhere. That's all on the game. Some games like gta5 or Witcher3 are hard on a cpu, but not so much on gpu, so a better, stronger, high core cpu is a must. Some games like CSGO or LoL are easy on cpu, so even a dual core works well if it has high IPC/clock speeds.

So there's going to be a lot of varience. All game dependent.

Most newer games will hurt fps on any quad core, doesn't matter if it's 3rd or 7th gen, it's the game code usage of higher thread counts. For most newer games you'll be limited by the cpu for fps, so the only difference between a 1650S and a 1660ti will be the detail levels, how high they can be pushed before it affects fps. For many games, you'll get ultra without issue on either, so the actual card used won't make a difference. It'll only be in the cpu-easy, gpu-hard games where details will become a factor, like using 4k DSR etc.

Reactions: The Big Technowski