[SOLVED] I have a i7 7700 and are planning to upgrade to a 3060ti.

Boatman45

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
I have a 1060 6gb now and are wondering if the performance will still be good if i upgrade to a 3060ti. I have a 900w Psu and 32GB of ram as well. Is there another gpu that wont bottle neck with my cpu?

Solution
3060ti is a nice boost in graphics capability.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Yes, a 3060ti will need a bit more power, they typically need an 8 pin connector.
I would be surprised if your psu did not have at least two such.

Boatman45

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
The brand is cougar gx and is around 4 years old. I play games like rust, cs go, red dead redemption and are wanting to play more triple a games. I have a 4k monitor and play most of them in 4k. My gpu can run most games at 60 fps on medium settings. Thanks for the help.

3060ti is a nice boost in graphics capability.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Yes, a 3060ti will need a bit more power, they typically need an 8 pin connector.
I would be surprised if your psu did not have at least two such.

Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The brand is cougar gx and is around 4 years old. I play games like rust, cs go, red dead redemption and are wanting to play more triple a games. I have a 4k monitor and play most of them in 4k. My gpu can run most games at 60 fps on medium settings. Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I actually meant to mention that a 3060Ti is going to make a significant change from 1060 obviously.

If memory serves right it's TDP is 200W but I think your PSU can manage that. (6+2 pin from PSU).

You can certainly do what geofelt recommended.

Also I would do some search and read users' experiences with the combination you have in mind (i7 7700 + 3060Ti) and see how their systems are doing in the games you intend to play with that system.

At 4K the main load will be on the GPU then again, as it was mention already, it will also depend on the game engine and age and graphic settings. If you also plan to increasing graphic settings to High with the 3060TI, then you should be fine with a i7 7700.

Is this i7 7700 a K model, or just i7 7700?

Testing what Geofelt wrote will help you figure out if the CPU still have some extra room for a better GPU. For example get a game you run at 4K, lower the resolution to 2K (1440p), keep same graphic settings and see how the FPS counter goes.

TRENDING THREADS