[SOLVED] I have a i7-8700k and a GTX 1070Ti - is this 620watt SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze Enough?

Oct 16, 2019
So this is my build:
i7-8700k
16gb DDR4 (I think)
GTX 1070Ti
1:SSD
2: SATA 5400rpm (I think)
1: 2K monitor
1: 4K TV
3: Case fans
Liquid cooler with a single fan (not sure the brand)

Is the SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze (620W) good enough and enough room for a future GPU upgrade?

I would honestly go for a newer modular 650Watt PSU but I'm currently living in the Philippines and it's pretty hard to come by PSUs, much less a PSU that isn't outrageously overpriced - thus, my options are limited.

Seasonic wattage calculator says my current setup uses 421W and that my recommended wattage is 471W. I just want to make sure 620W is good enough for it, as well as leaves enough room for potential future GPU upgrades.

The PSU calculation can be found here View: https://imgur.com/aaBtl2E

Thanks!

Solution
That unit is plenty for that system, however, it is an older group regulated design which is not Haswell or newer Intel low power state compatible. It can cause problems with your system due to lack of compatibility and crossloading issues. It would be VERY wise to replace it with a newer model that is at least as good of quality as that one is but is some form of DC-DC independently regulated, rather than group regulated. That unit also lacks some protections, such as over temperature protection (OTP) that we like to see on modern systems.

That being said, it CAN work, but you will want to go into the BIOS and disable the C6 and C7 low power states until such time as you are able to replace it with a higher quality unit. More...
That unit is plenty for that system, however, it is an older group regulated design which is not Haswell or newer Intel low power state compatible. It can cause problems with your system due to lack of compatibility and crossloading issues. It would be VERY wise to replace it with a newer model that is at least as good of quality as that one is but is some form of DC-DC independently regulated, rather than group regulated. That unit also lacks some protections, such as over temperature protection (OTP) that we like to see on modern systems.

That being said, it CAN work, but you will want to go into the BIOS and disable the C6 and C7 low power states until such time as you are able to replace it with a higher quality unit. More, detailed information on recommended models, is available in my post here:

Also, those PSU calculators are not just worthless, but pointless. Use this instead, ANYTIME you need to determine PSU required capacity. If it is a system that will be heavily overclocked, add another 100w to the recommended capacity found here:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Solution

That being said, it CAN work, but you will want to go into the BIOS and disable the C6 and C7 low power states until such time as you are able to replace it with a higher quality unit[/URL]

People run C6 and C7 all the time with S12II's and shutting them down in bios resolves the problem entirely. Why so negative all of the sudden?

That's exactly what I said. I said IF you turn off the C6 and C7 low power states, it is fine. Using a group regulated unit with any modern Intel system is not PREFERRED though, and for more reasons than just issues resuming from those power states, and it DOES lack protections. Protections that we'd LIKE to see any modern system with very expensive hardware HAVE. But it will certainly WORK, AND, there are FAR worse choices out there so I am definitely not against using it if it is something you have to do until such time as a better unit could be afforded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech