[SOLVED] I have a laptop with a 1650 and an integrated graphics card. I have an external monitor and it says it's connected to integrated graphics

Dec 3, 2021
My monitor says it's connected to the integrated graphics card instead of the 1650. There are no issues with my games or anything like that but the monitor has some slight ghosting that's pretty annoying sometimes and idk if this could have anything to do with it. I'm using HDMI right now waiting on my DP to come so that could be something too. Would it be a good idea to disable the integrated graphics in general?

Solution
Hi apercy021 (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Yes if your using IGPU then go into your Bios and disable it to be able to use the dedicated card..
HDMI 2.0 supports a maximum bandwidth of 18 Gbps, which is enough to handle 4K resolution at up to 60Hz, or 1080p at up to 240Hz. In comparison, DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 32.4Gbps, which opens up much greater resolution and frame rate potential.

Yes if your using IGPU then go into your Bios and disable it to be able to use the dedicated card..
HDMI 2.0 supports a maximum bandwidth of 18 Gbps, which is enough to handle 4K resolution at up to 60Hz, or 1080p at up to 240Hz. In comparison, DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 32.4Gbps, which opens up much greater resolution and frame rate potential.

Solution
My monitor says it's connected to the integrated graphics card instead of the 1650. There are no issues with my games or anything like that but the monitor has some slight ghosting that's pretty annoying sometimes and idk if this could have anything to do with it. I'm using HDMI right now waiting on my DP to come so that could be something too. Would it be a good idea to disable the integrated graphics in general?

That's a big NO. Most (if not all) laptops use integrated graphics for easy tasks and everyday usage and only switch to dedicated when is needed (gaming, video editing, etc). That is done to keep the laptop cool and more power efficient.

Disabling the integrated graphics on a laptop may result in several issues and sometimes the manufacturer of the laptop does not let you disable it as they deem it essential and does not work without it.

That's a big NO. Most (if not all) laptops use integrated graphics for easy tasks and everyday usage and only switch to dedicated when is needed (gaming, video editing, etc). That is done to keep the laptop cool and more power efficient.

Disabling the integrated graphics on a laptop may result in several issues and sometimes the manufacturer of the laptop does not let you disable it as they deem it essential and does not work without it.

Not all laptops are the same and some Bios will allow the IGPU to be disabled.
Differing manufacturers have different Bios options.

@ apercy021 What laptop do you have?

A big NO would indicate damage would be done and I doubt HP would allow that to happen.
My wife has a HP laptop with a
dedicated card and Bios is set to disable the iGPU

Thanks for the quote anyhow dotas1

Any other objective fact and not just subjective opinion will be appreciated.

Jul 20, 2018
pretty strange. mind telling us the exact make and model of your laptop? you might also want to open nvidia control panel and check "set physX configuration".
this is what it shows for me, and i am able to connect an external monitor and it uses the dedicated card,