I have a laptop with Core 2 DUO proccessor and 1GB RAM, will incresing the RAM speed up my computer.

Ahmed_91

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I have a laptop with Core 2 DUO proccessor and 1GB RAM, will incresing the RAM speed up my computer. I run many applications like matlab, simulink on my home laptop, the apps take longer time to load and if I open the web browser or any other app, they stop responding for some time.
May laptop can accomadate upto 4GB RAM. If I add 3GB(2GB+1GB) RAM to it will it improves the performance and stop not responding. The complete description of my laptop
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP 2230s
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5870 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68PHU Ver. F.03, Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 953 MB
Available Physical Memory 27.6 MB
Total Virtual Memory 5.43 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.75 GB
Page File Space 4.50 GB
Please advise

Solution
Yes. Max the old laptop out with as much RAM as it will use. And as fast as it can use. But finding obsolete DDR2 RAM today can be expensive.
How many RAM slots does your laptop have? Most only have 2.

With only the small amount of memory you have now, the machine is constantly off-loading data to virtual memory (the HDD) and having to load it back. The HDD is many times slower than RAM.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Max the old laptop out with as much RAM as it will use. And as fast as it can use. But finding obsolete DDR2 RAM today can be expensive.
How many RAM slots does your laptop have? Most only have 2.

With only the small amount of memory you have now, the machine is constantly off-loading data to virtual memory (the HDD) and having to load it back. The HDD is many times slower than RAM.

Solution

Ahmed_91

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it has 2 RAM slots.
What do you suggest?
Will adding 2GB RAM stable my laptops performance?
What about speed boost(using USB drive)?
Is that equivalent to RAM?

Please suggest

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You need more than 1GB + 2GB. Get at least 2 x 2GB if you can afford it. 2 x 8GB would be the best if you hate waiting for virtual memory.
And...
1) if the pair of mem sticks are not the same size, you will loose the dual channel memory speed. With a single stick of RAM, you can only run in the slower single channel memory mode.
2) If the sticks are not a matched pair, you may also have occasional memory errors. That is why dual channel memory is sold in MATCHED pairs.

If it were mine, I'd sell or throw away the 1GB stick and buy these: http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-PC2-6400-Notebook-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B0032CP24W/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433703440&sr=1-8&keywords=2+x+2GB+DDR2+sodimms&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A14329121

TRENDING THREADS