Question I have a laptop with ddr2 ram 3gb and a hard drive 500rpm

Wolfshadw

Titan
Most, if not all CPUs from the last twenty years have been 64-bit. The other responded meant if the OS is 32-bit, you're limited to 4GB of addressable memory space.

That said, it's possible your system does not accept more RAM and for a system of that age, it's possible it won't accept an SSD either. You''ll need to provide us with the exact model number of the laptop

-Wolf sends

P.S. I think you also meant that your hard drive is 5400RPM

Most, if not all CPUs from the last twenty years have been 64-bit. The other responded meant if the OS is 32-bit, you're limited to 4GB of addressable memory space.

That said, it's possible your system does not accept more RAM and for a system of that age, it's possible it won't accept an SSD either. You''ll need to provide us with the exact model number of the laptop

-Wolf sends

The laptop supports a max of 4GB of RAM and is running Win 7 32bit right now. You could install a 2GB SODIMM for the 1GB DIMM and keep it on 32bit Win 7. Same as you could install an SSD into it since it is a SATA HDD. All that being said, the OS is 10 years old and the rest of the components are even older than that, I wouldn't put any money into that system as it would just be a waste.

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
Hi, I think you should upgrade to an SSD, it is like buying a brand new PC and it will go really fast and you could use it to edit documents or browse the web with no problems, in fact it will go faster than normal modern laptop.
About upgrading the ram I don't see a reason to do it, you don't have a powerful cpu so even if you put 8gb of ram the cpu won't have power to use it all so it is a waste of money, also with 3gb it is enough to edit documents and browse the web or play media, getting 8gb or 6gb will be only necessary for gaming on rendering and you don't even half the power needed to do it on that machine, so 3gb will be more than enough.

memegamer12

Reputable
May 15, 2019

-Wolf sends

Hi yes it is a 5400rpm and the model number is PSLC0U-02701G

memegamer12

Reputable
May 15, 2019
The laptop supports a max of 4GB of RAM and is running Win 7 32bit right now. You could install a 2GB SODIMM for the 1GB DIMM and keep it on 32bit Win 7. Same as you could install an SSD into it since it is a SATA HDD. All that being said, the OS is 10 years old and the rest of the components are even older than that, I wouldn't put any money into that system as it would just be a waste.
It’s running windows 10 32 bit right now well it’s slow but runs well and driver support is good.

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
Hi, I think you should upgrade to an SSD, it is like buying a brand new PC and it will go really fast and you could use it to edit documents or browse the web with no problems, in fact it will go faster than normal modern laptop.
About upgrading the ram I don't see a reason to do it, you don't have a powerful cpu so even if you put 8gb of ram the cpu won't have power to use it all so it is a waste of money, also with 3gb it is enough to edit documents and browse the web or play media, getting 8gb or 6gb will be only necessary for gaming on rendering and you don't even half the power needed to do it on that machine, so 3gb will be more than enough.
And if you change your hard disk, clone the old one into the new one or use the same operative system, because booting a windows 10 for example on that little power will eat all the resources by it self so you will end with los resources for you to use, also if you use a modern OS you could have driver issues, those laptops use to come with driver's disks, use them to install them on your old os ir just clone your drive

memegamer12

Reputable
May 15, 2019
And if you change your hard disk, clone the old one into the new one or use the same operative system, because booting a windows 10 for example on that little power will eat all the resources by it self so you will end with los resources for you to use, also if you use a modern OS you could have driver issues, those laptops use to come with driver's disks, use them to install them on your old os ir just clone your drive
Hi thanks for your comment and also the driver support on windows 10 is good and my driver work really well and most of drivers are on windows update and other drivers are on Toshiba website, either way thanks I really appreciate for helping me 😀

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
Hi thanks for your comment and also the driver support on windows 10 is good and my driver work really well and most of drivers are on windows update and other drivers are on Toshiba website, either way thanks I really appreciate for helping me 😀
Yes, just seen the other message, I had a lot of problems with driver's and laptops that's why I insisted on that, don't upgrade the RAM, just buy an SSD and it will feel like a new computer I wouldn't recommend that much new software but if it has all drivers working should be fine, you will never regret if you get an SSD I can guarantee you.

Get a new (or more modern used) laptop. An SSD can be carried over to a new build, DDR2 SODIMMS is a waste of money, regardless of the fact that going from 3GB to 4GB RAM is unlikely to improve the performance of the system in any noticeable fashion.