Question I have a laptop with i7 8550U and am dissapointed with it's performance in games. Is there a way to increase it's performance?

May 5, 2020
Hello,
I came here to inquire whether there is anything I could do to increase the performance of my CPU in games such as LOL, rocket league or Apex.
I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking as I never had a CPU that could do that. My current CPU is also not a "K", however I'm fed up with poor framerate on worst settings.
I ran a few benchmarks and stress tests, tried to do something on my own but I did not manage to succeed.

My laptop: Lenovo 720 type 81C7
Processor: i7 8550U 1.8-4.0 GHz
Graphics: AMD RX 560M
Memory: 12gb ddr4 2400MHz

Overall CPU "stats"
XTU benchmark results, changing core Icc max
Screenshot during benchmarking
Video of how the CPU behaves during benchmarking

My observations:
When the CPU gets on higher frequencies the current EDP/limit throttling changes shows and the frequencies drop drastically
The CPU seems to be thermal throttling at 62° C
I also tried setting a fixed voltage on cores at 1-1,3 V and the CPU performs super bad (frequencies about 0,83GHz). I'm a little scared to go higher with the voltage without reaching out for help.

I have watched numerous videos on overclocking and none have helped me so far.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello,
I came here to inquire whether there is anything I could do to increase the performance of my CPU in games such as LOL, rocket league or Apex.
I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking as I never had a CPU that could do that. My current CPU is also not a "K", however I'm fed up with poor framerate on worst settings.
I ran a few benchmarks and stress tests, tried to do something on my own but I did not manage to succeed.

Overall CPU "stats"

My observations:
When the CPU gets on higher frequencies the current EDP/limit throttling changes shows and the frequencies drop drastically
I also tried setting a fixed voltage on cores at 1-1,3 V and the CPU performs super bad (frequencies about 0,83GHz). I'm a little scared to go higher with the voltage without reaching out for help.

It's a laptop, they are not meant to be overclocked, all you would get is more heat and there's no thing like a K processor for laptops. Best you can do is to help it staying cool.

Reactions: Ven25

PrinceTexasLoaf

Notable
Sep 28, 2018
Hello,

Overall CPU "stats"

My observations:

Look up videos on undervolting, if you do it correctly it could perform better. But it really just all depends on your cpu.

Reactions: Ven25

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS