Question I have a laptop with i7 8550U and am dissapointed with it's performance in games. Is there a way to increase it's performance?

May 5, 2020
Hello,
I came here to inquire whether there is anything I could do to increase the performance of my CPU in games such as LOL, rocket league or Apex.
I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking as I never had a CPU that could do that. My current CPU is also not a "K", however I'm fed up with poor framerate on worst settings.
I ran a few benchmarks and stress tests, tried to do something on my own but I did not manage to succeed.

My laptop: Lenovo 720 type 81C7
Processor: i7 8550U 1.8-4.0 GHz
Graphics: AMD RX 560M
Memory: 12gb ddr4 2400MHz

Overall CPU "stats"
XTU benchmark results, changing core Icc max
Screenshot during benchmarking
Video of how the CPU behaves during benchmarking

My observations:
When the CPU gets on higher frequencies the current EDP/limit throttling changes shows and the frequencies drop drastically
The CPU seems to be thermal throttling at 62° C
I also tried setting a fixed voltage on cores at 1-1,3 V and the CPU performs super bad (frequencies about 0,83GHz). I'm a little scared to go higher with the voltage without reaching out for help.

I have watched numerous videos on overclocking and none have helped me so far.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello,
I came here to inquire whether there is anything I could do to increase the performance of my CPU in games such as LOL, rocket league or Apex.
I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking as I never had a CPU that could do that. My current CPU is also not a "K", however I'm fed up with poor framerate on worst settings.
I ran a few benchmarks and stress tests, tried to do something on my own but I did not manage to succeed.

Overall CPU "stats"

My observations:
When the CPU gets on higher frequencies the current EDP/limit throttling changes shows and the frequencies drop drastically
I also tried setting a fixed voltage on cores at 1-1,3 V and the CPU performs super bad (frequencies about 0,83GHz). I'm a little scared to go higher with the voltage without reaching out for help.

It's a laptop, they are not meant to be overclocked, all you would get is more heat and there's no thing like a K processor for laptops. Best you can do is to help it staying cool.

Reactions: Ven25
Hello,

Overall CPU "stats"

My observations:

Look up videos on undervolting, if you do it correctly it could perform better. But it really just all depends on your cpu.

Jarod S.

Commendable
Jul 11, 2020
Hello,

Overall CPU "stats"

My observations:

I have the same CPU as you but nothing else and yes I hated my laptop being slow now listen here.

Forget about throttle stop I had it it's bad delete it get take it out back shoot it IDC

get QuickCPU instead it's better trust me

when downloading quick CPU download the older version 3.1.6.0 trust me on that

in QuickCPU at the top left there is a tab called options click on it and near the bottom there is and setting to start it on windows startup enable it

top right there is a tab called advanced CPU settings enable turbo mode than click apply on app start under turbo

after that in advanced CPU settings go to the tab speed shift in there click enabled, apply for all CPU cores, apply speed shift on app start, lastly in the middle of the page it says monitor and enforce my Speed Shift settings make sure these are enabled

now in the Speed Shift tab for minimum allowed performance make sure it's at 0.80 GHz
for maximum allowed performance put 4.00 GHz
for desired performance put it at 0 don't worry 0 means auto
for energy performance put it at 110
this is for thermal performance plez do this or it will be very hot.

also, I have upgraded my laptop I used to use my 2Tb 5400 RPM HDD as my boot drive cuz it came like that. I went to a 500Gb M.2 NVMe SSD and I use my HDD as storage for games and I have to say it sped up my laptop faster than anything. So I'd recommend getting either a 1Tb SATA SSD or keep your HDD and get a M.2 if you have a free M.2 port. Do as I said and you will love your laptop and plez get a 2x8Gb 16Gb kit of laptop ram it will be better

Last edited:
May 5, 2020
I have the same CPU as you but nothing else and yes I hated my laptop being slow now listen here.

Forget about throttle stop I had it it's bad delete it get take it out back shoot it IDC

get QuickCPU instead it's better trust me

when downloading quick CPU download the older version 3.1.6.0 trust me on that

in QuickCPU at the top left there is a tab called options click on it and near the bottom there is and setting to start it on windows startup enable it

top right there is a tab called advanced CPU settings enable turbo mode than click apply on app start under turbo

after that in advanced CPU settings go to the tab speed shift in there click enabled, apply for all CPU cores, apply speed shift on app start, lastly in the middle of the page it says monitor and enforce my Speed Shift settings make sure these are enabled

now in the Speed Shift tab for minimum allowed performance make sure it's at 0.80 GHz
for maximum allowed performance put 4.00 GHz
for desired performance put it at 0 don't worry 0 means auto
for energy performance put it at 110
this is for thermal performance plez do this or it will be very hot.

also, I have upgraded my laptop I used to use my 2Tb 5400 RPM HDD as my boot drive cuz it came like that. I went to a 500Gb M.2 NVMe SSD and I use my HDD as storage for games and I have to say it sped up my laptop faster than anything. So I'd recommend getting either a 1Tb SATA SSD or keep your HDD and get a M.2 if you have a free M.2 port. Do as I said and you will love your laptop and plez get a 2x8Gb 16Gb kit of laptop ram it will be better
Hey, thanks for the advice.
Should i slide the turbo time limit bars to the limit?