I have a lot of questions about operating systems in general, I've attempted some research but i still need some help.

ThrashDeathDoom

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I own a 250 GB HDD right now that I'm putting into my build. i will use this for a couple months before i have more money to upgrade
I later plan on adding a 120GB SSD as a boot drive and a 1TB HDD for additional storage

1. Will i be able to transfer the OS to my SSD? or will it be easier to disconnect the 250gb HDD and reinstall the OS on the SSD?
2. once the OS is on the SSD it will ask for the product key for my version of windows (right?) since the OS is already going to be in use on my HDD will i need another product code?
3. will i have to get special adapters for my power supply to power 2 HDDs and a SSD?
4.Buying a product code, then installing the OS from the creation tool on a flash drive isn't much different than using a disc right? and the creation tool is free to use, the only thing you're required to pay for is the product code that you input once the installation is complete?

Thank you so much in advance, and if you could label any answers with the number of the question its referring to it would nice!

Solution
1. You can, but NOT recommended. You may mess up the SSD's block calibration by just copy the OS to it, or even worse, it won't boot. You should do a clean install and avoid using any 3rd-party tool to partition it, just create partition in the Windows install, this will give the full advantage for your SSD.
2. Right, you do need a key, and I think you cannot use your old one...
3. You can just open your case to check if there's enough plug for these, but I think a normal PSU should have at least more than 3 power plugs to power your disk.
4. If your disk is the same official version as your ISO using with creation tool, then it's no different. Yes, you only need buy a OS key.

sam1275tom

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
1. You can, but NOT recommended. You may mess up the SSD's block calibration by just copy the OS to it, or even worse, it won't boot. You should do a clean install and avoid using any 3rd-party tool to partition it, just create partition in the Windows install, this will give the full advantage for your SSD.
2. Right, you do need a key, and I think you cannot use your old one...
3. You can just open your case to check if there's enough plug for these, but I think a normal PSU should have at least more than 3 power plugs to power your disk.
4. If your disk is the same official version as your ISO using with creation tool, then it's no different. Yes, you only need buy a OS key.

Solution

ThrashDeathDoom

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
so, if i buy a windows 10 product key right now and install it on my HDD, when i do a clean install on the SSD i have to use ANOTHER product code (aka i have to purchase another key)? or can i use the same product key?

sam1275tom

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

If you just transfer it to the SSD, you won't need another key, but as I said, it's not good to just transfer the OS to the SSD instead of reinstall it.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
What version of Windows are you currently using? If using Windows 10 go to Settings/Update & Security than Activation. If is shows activated with a Digital Entitlement than you doing a clean install won't require a key just select you don't have a key when it asks for one. Once installation is complete W10 will activate. This won't apply however if you do a major upgrade like CPU, Motherboard and I think Video card for upgrades like that you will have to call MS and you will probably need your key for the version you had installed before upgrading to W10.