[SOLVED] I have a m.2 With windows installed Do I need to reinstall when I transfer to the new PC build?

Entopian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
So I am building a new pc and I am transferring My old SSD do I have to reinstall windows or could I just plug it in and have it boot up?

Besides, your m.2's windows license is linked to your old build's motherboard. So if you just plug it into your new build windows will not activated. You should go to the microsoft website and review its procedures for transferring a windows license. Whether or not you can transfer your license will depend on how you obtained it e.g. retail purchase or oem provided license.

Besides, your m.2's windows license is linked to your old build's motherboard. So if you just plug it into your new build windows will not activated. You should go to the microsoft website and review its procedures for transferring a windows license. Whether or not you can transfer your license will depend on how you obtained it e.g. retail purchase or oem provided license.
Even OEM keys can be moved if they are tied to a MS account.
My OS dates back to my original win7 OEM key from 2013, moved several times no issue. All you need to do is make sure the license is tied to your MS account before moving.