Question I have a MSI GEFORCE GT 610 2gb with a DEAD cooling fan

Oct 26, 2020
Anyone know which replacement fan I need and where I can buy it? Pulled the card, removed the crazy loud, barely spinning fan to clean and it crumbled in my hands. Now back to the OE intel video chipset & nothing looks right. Card still seems to work and I can't afford a new one. I just want to replace the tiny fan. Anyone with this same card been through this? Help please!

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
i understand being broke so ,, I gave this a lot of thought for you ,,, if you are good with using a n high temperature adhesive glue ,, you might be able to glue on a larger more reliable fan to the heatsink and just run it off of one of the molex connectors from your power supply as far as a replacement fan where are you located first off before i go looking up prices

Oct 26, 2020
Label on the fan itself says the manufacturer is IDCooler- Model XY-D05010S.
Its DC 12V 0.09A at 4500RPM- cant find any info on it at all.
The closest cross reference I found is; PLD05010S12L.
Its 46mmx46mmx10mm, 3 screw mounting 39mm center to center.
Sorry I couldn't snap a pic, not enough left. Luckily I copied all info before trying to clean it.
Thanks all for your help and diligence!

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
just buy a cheap 5 $ case fan and stick it to your gpu, will work like a charm, heck you could even get 2 or three and mount them all around the card (Not joking)

if this doesnt sit well with you then you could buy a broken card that is the same make and model as yours from somewhere like ebay or something... will be cheap and you have a few extra parts for replacement when the time comes

dont bother buying a brand new fan, odds are you wont find one since your card is almost 8 years old (since release) and even it you do find one it would be a bit expensive

Oct 26, 2020
Thanx Logain, No, I have no spare any fans.
I think you're implying what Mike tried to tell me earlier, but a little modified. Set a case fan close to the card's heat sink for cooling, right? I saw a YouTube video doing that. It may come to it but I want to try and find a direct replacement first if I can. The original lasted 5 or 6 years, hopefully a replacement will keep me until I'll need a whole new PC (my PC's from 2009).
Thanks very much for you're super effort!

Oct 26, 2020
I'd get a new updated card but my (still working (KNOCK WOOD)) PC is vey old and can't handle any new card's requirements. Only has a 250W power supply - tiny & most inefficient for today's (hell, even yesterday's) technology...

Oct 26, 2020
Thanks again Logain!
I never even knew that was even an option.
Specs show it to be a much better card and draws even less power, as you said.
The GT 710 is much cheaper too, I guess they're still making it.
The GT 610 which is no longer in production is probably why it's so expensive for a new one (I wouldn't even consider getting a used one).
I think the GT 710 has a fan-less version also.
Maybe this is my new 'Plan B'...

Reactions: logainofhades
Oct 26, 2020
Thanks Balefire,
I found and ordered a new fan for my GT610 on eBay. Found it from NJ (not China!) for $13 with $5 off coupon & free shipping - should be here Thurs or Fri. If it fits I'm golden (hopefully) and if not then still undecided if I'll go the case fan(s) route or get a new GT710. 710 is just $50 new and even that is pushing the limit on what I want to invest in this old PC. The 710 is just about pushing the limits of my motherboard's capabilities, I think the GT1030 offers more than my PC can muster, but I much appreciate your time and concern. Will post again after fan receipt and potential success 🤞. Thanks to all...

Oct 26, 2020
The replacement fan came in the mail just a bit ago. Already installed on/in my card.
Perfect fit, though the listing was a tad confusing, listed as 45mm but actually 46mm.
Was the one I needed at any rate (hopefully).
Haven't had time to reinstalled the card yet - but that should be easy enough as the drivers are already there and should be as it was before (hopefully quieter) after a reboot or 2.
Will post again after it's all in, working and quiet. Still got my fingers crossed! 🤞

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
hope it runs ,, well ,, I hate those tiny fans,,, the bearings are jsut too small for longevity maybe if this is even possible in msi afterburner ,, set the fan speed down on it a little so its not rnning 100% all the time might make it last longer hope everything works well for you

Oct 26, 2020
Thanks Mike, for the kind words and afterburner advise.

Well I put the card back in and as soon as the PC booted the screen was great again, so all the correct drivers and personalization stayed.
I monitored the card for a couple minutes and the fan never came on, and it got hot - quick.
Luckily I didn't toss the old fan parts yet. Checking the 2 pin connector, the + &- were opposite of the new fan. Figured out how to switch the pins (without breaking anything), plugged it back in, reinstalled the card and PRESTO - it's working like a (whisper quiet) champ!
I opened the Afterburner app and everything was set on low and auto, so I didn't mess with the fan speed, or anything (hopefully I'll get another potential 5-6 years again).
This is the first time I ever opened Afterburner - had no clue what to do anyway!

I just want to thank everyone who helped and/or took an interest. If something like this happens again, I know now I've got alternative options.
It's great to know you all are here, THANKS!

Oct 26, 2020
Thanks groo, guess I just lucked out.

Any help/advise on how to use and what each adjustment does on the Afterburner, from anyone? Since I opened the app for the first time yesterday, I'm curious and hopeful about tweaking my card for even better video quality.
I'm not really a gamer, just web based puzzle games mostly. I mostly surf and watch videos, movies and tv. Any Afterburner experts out there?? :??::foudtag:

Oct 26, 2020
I think I'll close this thread as the original problem was successfully corrected.
Will start another on how to use MSI Afterburner app.
Thanks to all.....

TRENDING THREADS