[SOLVED] I have a new 144hrs monitor with freesync, still getting stuttering, maybe its my rig?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
recently upgraded from geforce 1050ti to nivida Geforce 1660 super (6gb)
I still get stuttering which i thought would have changed by now once i got the new monitor, any advice?

Solution
Do not plan on adding ram in the future; it may not be compatible.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you see a need for 32gb, buy it up front, or plan on replacing your initial purchase.

I3/i5 distinctions do not mean what they did in the past.
Most all include hyperthreading.
How many threads can you usefully use?
For most games, that is perhaps 4-6.
If your use is for...

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Can you record the gameplay in short and upload it? Make sure you're running MSI afterburner OSD on the background.

Yes i can do that, not much experience with that though, i tried to do that with msi capture but it actually made the stuttering much worse, maybe there is a better tool for capturing video.

Stuttering is usually caused by insufficient cpu capability.
The FX-8350 was a fine processor in it's day, but that was 8 years ago.
By today's standards, the single core performance is poor.
Performance of the single master thread in games is all important.
Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilisations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.
leading you to think your bottleneck was elsewhere.
It turns our that few games can USEFULLY use more than 2-3 threads.
How can you tell how well threaded your games or apps are?
One way is to disable one thread and see how you do.

You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, it tells you that you will not benefit from more cores.
Likely, a better clock rate will be more important.

For about $300, you can buy a modern cpu motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 that will have twice the capability of your current processor.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Stuttering is usually caused by insufficient cpu capability.
The FX-8350 was a fine processor in it's day, but that was 8 years ago.
By today's standards, the single core performance is poor.
Performance of the single master thread in games is all important.
Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilisations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.
leading you to think your bottleneck was elsewhere.
It turns our that few games can USEFULLY use more than 2-3 threads.
How can you tell how well threaded your games or apps are?
One way is to disable one thread and see how you do.

You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, it tells you that you will not benefit from more cores.
Likely, a better clock rate will be more important.

For about $300, you can buy a modern cpu motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 that will have twice the capability of your current processor.
Yep, i never expected the cpu to be great, just did not think it would cause stuttering on games that are not super demanding but i was veering towards agreeing its probably my CPU that is the issue, i only just started using msi afterburner and can see one of my cores is at 100 whilst all the others are fairly low, i guess thats an example of a CPU bottlenecking. Could you recommended a cheap cpu and motherboard that will stop me from running into this problem again in the future?

I recently built a pc for my son using a i3-10100 and was much impressed with it. It was quick.
Your FX-8350 has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 5924 and a single thread rating of 1564.
The single thread rating is usually the most important for games.
The i3-10100 also has 8 threads, but with a rating of 9021 and a single thread rating of 2564.
No doubt you could go stronger, but at $130, it would be a nice jump in capability:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-10100-core-i3-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118138
You will need a lga1200 based motherboard.
Here is one for $77:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157947?&quicklink=true
Modern processors need DDR4 ram.
Here is a 2 x 8gb ddr4 kit for $52:
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232242?&quicklink=true
Total... $250.
Of course, one can go higher, but a balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
I recently built a pc for my son using a i3-10100 and was much impressed with it. It was quick.
Your FX-8350 has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 5924 and a single thread rating of 1564.
The single thread rating is usually the most important for games.
The i3-10100 also has 8 threads, but with a rating of 9021 and a single thread rating of 2564.
No doubt you could go stronger, but at $130, it would be a nice jump in capability:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-10100-core-i3-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118138
You will need a lga1200 based motherboard.
Here is one for $77:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157947?&quicklink=true
Modern processors need DDR4 ram.
Here is a 2 x 8gb ddr4 kit for $52:
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232242?&quicklink=true
Total... $250.
Of course, one can go higher, but a balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

Yeah that does not look too bad, though if i was to get a motherboard it would need 4 slots for more potential ram in the future, i was thinking about an i5 but apparently their range in performance when it comes to gaming is not that significant probably because of the same issue i am currently having, lack if power in a single core. But atm its all greek to me, trying to decide on a cpu is really confusing.

Do not plan on adding ram in the future; it may not be compatible.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you see a need for 32gb, buy it up front, or plan on replacing your initial purchase.

I3/i5 distinctions do not mean what they did in the past.
Most all include hyperthreading.
How many threads can you usefully use?
For most games, that is perhaps 4-6.
If your use is for apps that can multithread, that is where you should buy higher threaded processors.
Today, the ryzen units are good at that.
ryzen does not overclock significantly, even though their multipliers are unlocked.
For the most part, overclocks in the 4.3-4.5 are the best you can expect.
On intel, it is the K suffix processors that can get to 5.0.

If you are looking for a big processor boost for gaming, look at the i5-10600K and a z490 based motherboard.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review

Solution

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
I know of no reason why the K or KF should differ.
These processors are new so there are a limited number of benchmark samples. The KF had only one.

At the same price or close, I would pick the K with integrated graphics.
You can test a new build using integrated adapter without disturbing the old.
If you should ever have a gpu failure, the integrated option can keep you running.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
I know of no reason why the K or KF should differ.
These processors are new so there are a limited number of benchmark samples. The KF had only one.

At the same price or close, I would pick the K with integrated graphics.
You can test a new build using integrated adapter without disturbing the old.
If you should ever have a gpu failure, the integrated option can keep you running.

That makes sense, the only other thing of note i can think of is i see out there ddr4 ram that is 3200MHz vs 3600MHz is there any reason i would go for one over the other, does it impact gaming in any way?

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Intel is not very dependent on fast ram unless you are using integrated graphics.
3200 speed is fine. But if the price difference is not great, I think 3600 speed is about the sweet spot.
Cool thanks, yeah the difference in price is not really that much, though i saw some 4133MHz being only 30 quid more compared to the 3600 and lower ones being more expensive, i think thats probably due to the addition of ram now being RGB but could be wrong.

I have my eye on this motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z490-GAMING-PLUS/Specification, it seems like a decent one to go along with the i5-10600K assuming there is not something i am missing.