[SOLVED] I have a new 144hrs monitor with freesync, still getting stuttering, maybe its my rig?

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
recently upgraded from geforce 1050ti to nivida Geforce 1660 super (6gb)
I still get stuttering which i thought would have changed by now once i got the new monitor, any advice?

Solution
Do not plan on adding ram in the future; it may not be compatible.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you see a need for 32gb, buy it up front, or plan on replacing your initial purchase.

I3/i5 distinctions do not mean what they did in the past.
Most all include hyperthreading.
How many threads can you usefully use?
For most games, that is perhaps 4-6.
If your use is for...

DSzymborski

Titan
I still get stuttering which i thought would have changed by now once i got the new monitor, any advice?

The benefit to a GPU upgrade was limited on this platform.

As for the stuttering, you'll have to be far more specific on games, settings, FPS, etc. People use the term "stuttering" to mean way too many things.

ben001

Distinguished
Hi :)

Starting with a few basic things:
  1. What is your storage status?.
  2. Do you monitor your CPU temperature while gaming?.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
The benefit to a GPU upgrade was limited on this platform.

As for the stuttering, you'll have to be far more specific on games, settings, FPS, etc. People use the term "stuttering" to mean way too many things.

Hello could you explain, limited how?
When playing battle brothers or looking at say the map in witcher 3, scrolling left, right, up, down, causes stuttering, hope that helps.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Hi :)

Starting with a few basic things:
  1. What is your storage status?.
  2. Do you monitor your CPU temperature while gaming?.
I have two SSD's one Sandisk Z400S 128GB 2.5" SATA III SSD which is the primary for windows and program files, i use the 2nd SSD Gigabyte UD PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA III SSD for my games.

Yes they don't go high, i had to set maximum to 99% under processor power management because my CUP would run too hot if i let it run at 100%

D

Deleted member 14196

It was limited on this build because your hardware architecture is very old and you are CPU bound most likely

ben001

Distinguished
No, it may be having an old architecture but here I don't see the problem with CPU, but it might be using all cores at maximum. Try overclocking your processor a bit more and I would advise you to upgrade your RAM kit to 16GB (Dual-channel). It will help.

By the way, Are you running a single-kit module of RAM?.

You can also try removing unnecessary files from your Windows drive & scan your system for viruses if you have any using the latest windows update.

Let us know the outcome.

Last edited:

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
No, it may be having an old architecture but here I don't see the problem with CPU, but it might be using all cores at maximum. Try overclocking your processor a bit more and I would advise you to upgrade your RAM kit to 16GB (Dual-channel). It will help.

By the way, Are you running a single-kit module of RAM?.

You can also try removing unnecessary files from your Windows drive & scan your system for viruses if you have any using the latest windows update.

Let us know the outcome.
Never overclocked a CPU in my life, i'd probably brake something, no i have 2x4gb corsair vengence i tried upgrading to 16gb but the ram would not work so i had to send it back, which was odd because i read that it was compatible with the motherboard.

Do you think upgrading the ram would solve the stutter?

ben001

Distinguished
You need a matched pair of memory to work. May I know if you are having any hardware monitor software or MSI afterburner?. If not, download and see if you are having any CPU cores, temperatures, utilization of your components are hitting max while gaming. Share the details with us.

Upgrading your RAM to 16GB might be helpful, but need to check a few things first and may I know your complete system specification at the moment.

Last edited:

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
You need a matched pair of memory to work. May I know if you are having any hardware monitor software or MSI afterburner?. If not, download and see if you are having any CPU cores, temperatures, utilization of your components are hitting max while gaming. Share the details with us.

Upgrading your RAM to 16GB might be helpful, but need to check a few things first and may I know your complete system specification at the moment.
I monitor cpu temp and its never lower than 40 for each core but i think thats because i have it set to 99% maximum power otherwise the cpu gets too hot. already posted my graphics, cpu, the rest is....

GA-990X-gaming sli motherboard
iiyama G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1 Gaming Monitor
not sure what specific ram it is i have, they are kinda old though i guess, had them for a while, just know they are 2x4 corsair vengeance ones

DSzymborski

Titan
Hello could you explain, limited how?
When playing battle brothers or looking at say the map in witcher 3, scrolling left, right, up, down, causes stuttering, hope that helps.

The CPU gets little benefit above a 1050 Ti/RX 470 and almost none above a 1060 in most cases.

Can you describe the behavior you're witnessing without using the word stuttering? Does the FPS drop? Is there input lag? Is it only when you're looking at the map in Witcher 3? Did the behavior suddenly start?

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
The CPU gets little benefit above a 1050 Ti/RX 470 and almost none above a 1060 in most cases.

Can you describe the behavior you're witnessing without using the word stuttering? Does the FPS drop? Is there input lag? Is it only when you're looking at the map in Witcher 3? Did the behavior suddenly start?

Best way i can describe it in terms of what i currently see is if you imagine playing a game with a map, when you scroll in any direction, the movement is not smooth, it jitters in a frame skipping motion when scrolling in any direction. The FPS is high, never goes bellow 60 and can go up as far as 140. i've noticed it in other games but its more subtle when in other examples, its just very apparent when playing my current game battle brothers. I have had it for a while but i was using a low 60hrs tv before so i just assumed it was because of that, now its looking like my desktop has some kind of ongoing issue.

DSzymborski

Titan
Best way i can describe it in terms of what i currently see is if you imagine playing a game with a map, when you scroll in any direction, the movement is not smooth, it jitters in a frame skipping motion when scrolling in any direction. The FPS is high, never goes bellow 60 and can go up as far as 140. i've noticed it in other games but its more subtle when in other examples, its just very apparent when playing my current game battle brothers. I have had it for a while but i was using a low 60hrs tv before so i just assumed it was because of that, now its looking like my desktop has some kind of ongoing issue.

What is the CPU usage percentage when this happens? When was the last time you did a full, fresh install of Windows? It's frequently a good idea -- and also, unlike other fixes, free -- to eliminate software sources of problems first.

ben001

Distinguished
Best way i can describe it in terms of what i currently see is if you imagine playing a game with a map, when you scroll in any direction, the movement is not smooth, it jitters in a frame skipping motion when scrolling in any direction.
There's a chance your CPU usage is getting 100% or maybe your RAM at that moment which is why I was asking you to share the details of usage If there's no bump up in percentage then might be the game software or anything conflicting your game. Also, check with your background tasks if they signaling something odd.

As DSzy mentioned, a clean format would be a good move if you haven't performed one recently and installing everything fresh and updated. Later, we can move to the next stage based on your system's behavior.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
What is the CPU usage percentage when this happens? When was the last time you did a full, fresh install of Windows? It's frequently a good idea -- and also, unlike other fixes, free -- to eliminate software sources of problems first.

Roughly about 23% yeah i have not done a full reinstall of windows in a while, was planning on doing that, just a pain if it was not likely to fix the problem.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
There's a chance your CPU usage is getting 100% or maybe your RAM at that moment which is why I was asking you to share the details of usage If there's no bump up in percentage then might be the game software or anything conflicting your game. Also, check with your background tasks if they signaling something odd.

As DSzy mentioned, a clean format would be a good move if you haven't performed one recently and installing everything fresh and updated. Later, we can move to the next stage based on your system's behavior.
I guess i should try a reinstall of windows i guess, does that mean i need to essentially wipe the entire drive or is it only specific to windows i have reinstalling, i remember in the past it deleted everything.

ben001

Distinguished
I guess i should try a reinstall of windows i guess, does that mean i need to essentially wipe the entire drive or is it only specific to windows i have reinstalling, i remember in the past it deleted everything.
Yes, if you doing it then make a complete move. Your system will feel younger like before. Back-up all necessary files and perform a format on all of your drives.

Still, if your problem persists. We are here to help you. Go for it. :)

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Yes, if you doing it then make a complete move. Your system will feel younger like before. Back-up all necessary files and perform a format on all of your drives.

Ok doke, will give it a go, think i will also have another go at upgrading my ram as well in the past i had issues with that though which was why i held off.

Thanks very much will post if i see any or no improvement from either.

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Wait you have FreeSync monitor and NVIDIA GPU, which you trying to enable G-SYNC, and you say that you still or have stuttered, G-SYNC and FREESYNC in fact are technologies that supposed to make your monitor smooth and not to have and eliminate any stuttering and tearing, so which leads me to believe that your monitor is no compatible with G-Sync compatible monitors, first and most important you have to have Display Port to Run G-Sync the right way if you run HDMI maybe there is your issue, but if your run on Display Port it will help with the G-Sync to work properly and to give you that 144Hz. It is not CPU or GPU or RAM or whatever? It is just that what I said.

Reactions: Jason H.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Wait you have FreeSync monitor and NVIDIA GPU, which you trying to enable G-SYNC, and you say that you still or have stuttered, G-SYNC and FREESYNC in fact are technologies that supposed to make your monitor smooth and not to have and eliminate any stuttering and tearing, so which leads me to believe that your monitor is no compatible with G-Sync compatible monitors, first and most important you have to have Display Port to Run G-Sync the right way if you run HDMI maybe there is your issue, but if your run on Display Port it will help with the G-Sync to work properly and to give you that 144Hz. It is not CPU or GPU or RAM or whatever? It is just that what I said.

I am using a display port not HDMI, it would not show the 144hrs if i used HDMI, i am pretty sure my monitor is G-sync compatible, its enabled via the nividia control panel.

vorpalmortal

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020

Reset the hard drive in windows, with the option to remove everything and i am still getting the problem after new install of nividia drivers.