[SOLVED] I have a non overclocked ryzen 5 3600 failing prime95 on one of the workers.

Mar 31, 2020
I have had lots of blue screen of death issues and when talking to a windows help person they read the minidumps and said they came from lots of different things, ("all the dumps point to a different issue from a driver to a processor problem") . They suggested that i should run a cpu stress test. so i ran prime95 for 3 hours to come back and find one of the workers had 1 error.
Again nothing is overclocked and now my microsoft help friend is no longer repling to the tread.
My specs are
CPU - ryzen 5 3600
GPU - radeon 5700 xt
mb - msi gaming plus max
ram - corsair vengeance pro 16gb

Anyone have any ideas on what to do now?

Solution
I have had lots of blue screen of death issues and when talking to a windows help person they read the minidumps and said they came from lots of different things, ("all the dumps point to a different issue from a driver to a processor problem") . They suggested that i should run a cpu stress test. so i ran prime95 for 3 hours to come back and find one of the workers had 1 error.
Again nothing is overclocked and now my microsoft help friend is no longer repling to the tread.
My specs are
CPU - ryzen 5 3600
GPU - radeon 5700 xt
mb - msi gaming plus max

What speed / settings is you ram running at (you don't list the speed)? Generally when you get weird...
My specs are
CPU - ryzen 5 3600
GPU - radeon 5700 xt
mb - msi gaming plus max

What speed / settings is you ram running at (you don't list the speed)? Generally when you get weird stability issues on Ryzen it's memory related. I would suggest going into the bios and dropping the ram speed back to DDR4 2400, then testing again.

It would be helpful to know a bit more detail about the machine - what exact motherboard is it (i.e. what chipset) and also what specific memory do you have (is it DDR4 2933, 3200, 3600?).

Also would be useful to know the make / model of power supply you have as that could cause issues as well.

Final thought - what bios version is your motherboard currently on (you can check this by going into the bios, should list a the version somewhere), if it's not the latest might be worth updating it.

Solution
Mar 31, 2020
Thanks for the reply.
My ram is DDR4 3600 speed but it is running at 2666
PSU is corsair 650 W 80+ bronze. (cx650m)
bios is latest already H.50
MB is a b450 chipset

One thing i though might be worth mentioning is when i ran the test again for a short time i was watching the temperatures and the speed of each core on the ryzen master program and it was hitting its max temp quite quickly of 95 and then throttling performance. It didnt go over its max or at least didnt tell me, however i only ran it for about half an hour that time.

you said that it was memory related, maybe something to back that up is a large portion of the BSOD were IRQL not less or equal and after some research this is also to do with memory.

Thanks for the reply.
My ram is DDR4 3600 speed but it is running at 2666
PSU is corsair 650 W 80+ bronze. (cx650m)
bios is latest already H.50
MB is a b450 chipset

One thing i though might be worth mentioning is when i ran the test again for a short time i was watching the temperatures and the speed of each core on the ryzen master program and it was hitting its max temp quite quickly of 95 and then throttling performance. It didnt go over its max or at least didnt tell me, however i only ran it for about half an hour that time.

you said that it was memory related, maybe something to back that up is a large portion of the BSOD were IRQL not less or equal and after some research this is also to do with memory.

I am assuming you are running 2 sticks of DDR4 in dual channel? I would suggest removing one and testing the machine on a single stick. If that works, try switching to the other and test again.

The temps sound a bit high, I'm guessing you are running on the stock fan? That fan should be fine to handle that cpu but can be limited if there isn't much airflow in your case. Have you tried running with the side panel off? Also worth checking that the fan curves are set to ramp up the fan early enough (or just manually bump up the fan speed in ryzen master) and see if that brings temps down.... It should really be stable at ~ 80C under full load.

Mar 31, 2020
You are correct with the dual channel.
Should i do anything specific when testing each ram stick? as i have ran memtest86 on each and both at the same time however only ran for 4 passes as it was limited to this. I tried to download and boot of the 86+ version however i could not boot from the usb installer thing that it created. i ran the windows memory test for 8 passes with no errors.

The crashes seem to be random as i got 2 days with nothing and a seemingly perfectly running pc and then after changing nothing i got 5 within an hour. So i am not sure how to test the pc well.