Question I have a PCIE extension cable for my GPU, but my motherboard does not detect it.

Apr 21, 2019
Hi

Thanks in advance in helping me with my problem.

I just first completed my build last night as was eager to try it. However, when I went into BIOS and installed windows I wasn't able to see my GPU.

My build:

MB : ASrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
GPU : MSI GeForce 2080 Ventus 8G OC
Extension cable: Corsair Premium PCIe 3.0x16 cable.

PSU: Seasonic snow silent 750W

First I suspected it was the extension cable so I tried the cable with my old PC and my old graphics card which worked fine.

But when I plugged my old graphics card to my new PC through the extension cable, it didn't work. So I was wondering if my new motherboard cannot detect the GPU through the PCIE extension cable.

I currently mounted my GPU vertically. But I can mount it the normal was as a last resort because this would be I have to modify my waterloop.

Thanks,
Sam

Apr 21, 2019
What are the full specs for this system (make/model of all components)? Has this system ever displayed anything properly? Have you tried an alternate PCIe slot just to confirm the system is working otherwise?

The full specs is as follows

MB : ASrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
SSD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
GPU : MSI GeForce 2080 Ventus 8G OC
Extension cable: Corsair Premium PCIe 3.0x16 cable.
PSU: Seasonic snow silent 750W

I plugged the HDMI to the GPU, no image. So I plugged it into the Motherboard HDMI. I'm currently typing this using the new PC so I think it should be working fine (other than not detecting the GPU).

I have tried the other PCIE slot but seems no luck. The third slot is too low for the extension cord to plug in so I did not try it.

Thanks =]