[SOLVED] I have a Powerbook G4, shall I throw it in the bin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyjee86

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Ok,

I have always liked the look and response of this laptop, but it's no longer supported and a hassle to use... Flash doesn't wanna upgrade, Powerbooks are no longer supported. The laptop has 1GB memory and handles general browsing fine (which is all I want whilst I'm working away). I love the size of the laptop, the feel of the keyboard ( I have done for the last 8 years). The laptop has never failed me, but there is no longer support for it, which renders it USELESS. I cannot use it anymore, I.E. it's quicker to use my smart phone!!!

My question is... Even though I love the laptop, and it's capable of so much more... Shall I just chuck it in the bin?!

Please advise how I can save my beloved Powerbook G4 which, I KNOW has so much more to give!

What would you do with it? XP install? (if so, how - the laptop is the perfect look/size and feel for traveling, I don't really wanna have to change it).

THANKS ALL! :hello:

andyjee86

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Oh by the way. When I say it browse's fine, yes it does.. but every time I load a page I get a warning saying that my OS is no longer supported and browsing is not safe!!! What shall I do?

andyjee86

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Although... If I take some pics and send you will you make me a reasonable offer?

andyjee86

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
The main problem is this:

"Your system doesn't meet the requirements to run Firefox."

So, I'm using a crappy old browser that is warning me on every page that browser cannot verify the security of the page, do you want to add an exception at your risk etc... some stuff doesn't load. I have the same problem with Opera.

What can I do to continue using MacOSx with this machine, but also browse securely and efficiently? I certainly used to have no problems, until they stopped updating it!

ryanhmusic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I haven't played around with the G4 but is it snappy enough to run XBMC or Plex with an external drive? Could make a pretty sweet addition to your entertainment system without any real cash upfront

stirv1

Honorable
May 6, 2013

keep it! still. i love my G412", and same as you find it perfect for traveling, and connect it to my 23" Cinema Display at home, which changes the whole experience. works great for photos and although i haven't found out how to get my ituned on my new windows phone, my Flash doesn't want to upgrade either, my battery is shot, and i struggle to keep it not maxed out with content, this little thing is almost 10 years old and I can't part with it.

bombastinator

Honorable
May 8, 2013
G4s are great chips. Not so fast anymore, but they work well. You may have to give up OSX though. There are several linuxes and BSDs that work fine on it though. so if all you want is browsing and you're willing to use firefox, I'd say reinstall yourself some Debian, or one of the BSDs if you want to impress your computer friends, and just keep using it till the drive fails.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Sell it on ebay if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS