Question I have a problem when installing my 2nd graphics card

Feb 15, 2021
When I install my 2nd graphics card sometimes it comes up in the device manager, sometimes not. When it does, it comes up with the yellow ! next to it and says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Currently my system is a Ryzen 5600x,, with a Aorus X570 Elite motherboard, installed on it is a 3090 in the main slot, SSD Nvme drive in the top slot and a SATA SSD drive as well. Running Windows 64 bit. 16GB 4000Mhz ram.

This issue comes about when I put the 2nd 3090 into the x4 GPU slot of the MB.

Things I have tried so far.

Making sure it is slotted correctly.
Reinstalling the video card drivers.
Changing PCIe Bifurcation settings on the MB.

Just to make you guys aware too that the 2nd GPU (not that I think it would make a difference) is run by an independant PSU (as my original was an 800W Gold, so this is being run by a stand alone 650w bronze PSU)

Please help! I've ran SLI before (not for ages) and crossfire and never encountered these issues, so unsure how to fix it.

This is NOT an SLI setup, these will be run independently.

The x4 slot is probably not enough for this GPU

Is this card running in the x16 slot? Maybe it´s faulty

Did you power up the 2nd PSU correctly? Are you using any kind of adapter between the 1st and 2nd PSU?

reset the BIOS by jumper while the 2nd GPU is plugged in (all power off)

update the BIOS

Feb 15, 2021
Hey Helpstar, thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I have tried the GPU in the x16 slot, all works fine. I also tried both GPU's independently in the x4 slot and it works fine as well. The only issue I encounter is when I try and run both.

For the 2nd PSU I am simply using a hair pin at the moment to jump start the PSU until an adapter comes everytime I reset or turn on the computer (quite annoying I know) but every local place seems to have sold out of the adaptors due to the mining graze, and I didn't want to split it myself as I could but didn't want to mess up the PSU's warranty but soldering etc lol. Saying this sometimes my timing might be off (hence why the second GPU doesn't appear?) unsure how time sensitive it is.....

I'll try to reset the bios, I think it's already updated to max as I did that when I got it (due to the CPU requirement) but I'll check again for a later release.

Feb 15, 2021
I got a reply from the computer shop which only after he did some digging found a post stating Nvidias RTX and GTX line doesn't work on a x4 PCI bus (which my second slot is).

Might have to go an upgrade the board to the Aorus Master :(