Question I have a problem with my powerline Internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolas_41

Commendable
Jun 22, 2017
Hello, I apologize in advance if my English isn't perfect.

Here is the problem:

I've been using Powerline plugs since almost two years now, to be able to get access to Internet on my desk Computer.

The router is in the living room, which is not far at all from the office, but I don't have a WiFi card in my computer, prefering to be connected with an Ethernet cable.

So the router is in the living room, and it is plugged to the Powerline, which itself is plugged into the wall. An ethernet cable from the router connects to the Powerline plug.
Then, in my office, where my Computer is, I have the second Powerline plug connected into the wall socket, and then a multiplug plugged into the Powerline. Another Ethernet cable connects this Powerline plug to my Computer.

Anyhow, everything was working fine for almost 2 years, when, on Friday afternoon, I encountered a big problem.

I have been using my computer up until the previous day, in the evening, where everything was fine.

But on Friday, as soon as I had to update games or launch a Speedtest (either with Ookla or directly using my Internet Provider's tool on the router browser's page), the whole internet shut down, Ethernet and WiFi.

After manually reseting the router many times, and seeing no change, apart from getting Internet back on my Computer for a mere 15 seconds, restarting to update my game (either on Steam, uPlay or what have you), it stopped again.

I called the Customer Service, they told me they saw that everything was fine on my side, the router had indeed some problems, but it restarted after while, and restarted to shut down few seconds later.
They manually did an update of my router, but it didn't change things.
So I got someone coming on Monday morning to check the network on my side.

In the meantime, I wanted to figure out what could be source of problem, so I started to not update or download anything on my computer, not doing a speedtest either, and indeed, my Internet was back, at least for browsing.

But as soon as a heavier download happened, it shut down.

I then used the laptop of my girlfriend, plugged it via a cable directly onto the router and started to download something, and no problem there.
Did the same but in the office, and then it shut down again.

I then moved my whole set up into the living room to be connected directly via cable to the router, and I had the same problems actually.

Secondly, I bought new Powerline plugs, more recent ones, and a new Ethernet cable, just to be sure.
And now that my computer is back in the office, and plugged onto the new cable and PWRLN plug, the problems started again, with a new pair of Powerline plugs and cables mind you.

So the problem doesn't come from the powerline plugs nor the cables then.

Oh, and downloading using the WiFi is fine.

I used the PWRLN plug from my office onto another wall socket, and not problem there neither, so I guess my electrical network encountered a problem at one point during the night between Thursday and Friday and it has now difficulties to manage big packages of data.

On Thursday evening, I think, I remember that the light of the kitchen vent died out when I wanted to open the vent.

But this light is in the kitchen, in another separate room.

Anyone could help me figuring out either what to do, what could be the problem or if there are solutions?

Knowing that I can't use my computer in the living room, as we don't have much space, we use the table there to eat, and my set up, with a widescreen, is quite imposing and takes a lot of place.

Last edited:

Nicolas_41

Commendable
Jun 22, 2017
Oh, and another information:

I can play online games like Apex, CSGO, etc.

As long as I don't have to download a big package of data, it's all fine. Otherwise, the whole access to Internet, either for my computer or the WiFi, dies.

If you have problems plugged directly into the router then it can't be the powerline units. If I read that correctly then you need to spend more time testing directly connected to find the issue.

Powerline units can be tricky and it can actually be a device anyplace in your house causing issues. I have a shop vac that will kill powerline units no matter what room I use it in. If your problems is intermittent it is going to be very hard to find. The method that tend to work to find problem devices is to turn off all the circuit breakers except those controlling the 2 rooms. You want to turn everything off including things like ac units and kitchen appliances. You can then go into those rooms and unplug anything that is not needed to test and turn off any lights.
You then one by one turn stuff on until the problem comes back

Nicolas_41

Commendable
Jun 22, 2017
If you have problems plugged directly into the router then it can't be the powerline units. If I read that correctly then you need to spend more time testing directly connected to find the issue.

Powerline units can be tricky and it can actually be a device anyplace in your house causing issues. I have a shop vac that will kill powerline units no matter what room I use it in. If your problems is intermittent it is going to be very hard to find. The method that tend to work to find problem devices is to turn off all the circuit breakers except those controlling the 2 rooms. You want to turn everything off including things like ac units and kitchen appliances. You can then go into those rooms and unplug anything that is not needed to test and turn off any lights.
You then one by one turn stuff on until the problem comes back
The thing is everything worked fine up until Friday afternoon. I didn't buy any new devices, nor did my girlfriend. We usually turn off the multiplugs when we don't use something plugged on them.

Also, I should specify that the Internet Provider where I live (Switzerland), recently did some work on the Internet lines to modernize them. I use to get 40Mbits with copper, I now get 500Mbits still with copper. Thing is, my abo didn't change, so I'm still subscribed to 40Mbits, which is what I get for the moment anyway. Could it be that using Powerlines with more Internet power on an older electrical network could cause interferences or even problems such as mine?

Second also, the circuit breaker for the office is the same as for the bedroom, living room, dining room and bathroom. That's quite a lot to verify.
But sure, I'll try to check.

You need to really test with a direct ethernet to be sure it is the powerline. If the ISP has been changing stuff it could be the issue. It will not though cause issues with the powerline units. The powerline signal is isolated by the power transformer coming into your house. In rare cases you can see your neighbors powerline units but in most cases powerline signals will not cross over the transformer.

Nicolas_41

Commendable
Jun 22, 2017
I had the problem from Friday with my 2 years old Powerlines, with which I never had any problem before.
As I said, if I start to download something, I disconnect. But otherwise, gaming online (which I checked today) and browsing Internet doesn't cause my router to disconnect from the Internet.

But as I wanted to be sure it wasn't a Powerline problem, I bought new ones yesterday. And with the new ones, more recent model, better suited for the amped up connection I will receive, I still get the disconnection problem, no matter on which mural plug I plug into.

So I know it isn't a Powerline problem. The only point that could still make it one though is the fact than, when downloading something via WiFi, something that would normally disconnect my router if I downloaded it via a Powerline connected device, I get no disconnection there. And it's the same when I'm connected directly to the Router via an Ethernet cable. Even my computer.

But then it could also mean it it the electrical network of the apartement.

So I don't know which one is the real problem here, but as I retain the same issue after having changed my Powerlines for more recent ones, I doubt the matter comes from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.