• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

[SOLVED] I have a question about a PC picker compatibility issue.

epicevan

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
I got this compatibility issue. looking at the B450 Tomahawk and gigabyte aorus b450 pro wifi.
The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe-based M.2 drive, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

I don't really get what it means does this mean that my graphics card would interfere with it? or is it talking about the ports below it

Thanks!

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
that's exactly what it is. the ports you use for hdd's and so on. the pcie lanes are shared between them so if you use the m.2 slot, you lose the ports that share the lanes.

it's only 2 and you still have 4 more :)

love my aorus pro wifi btw. snazzy board that works well and looks good doing it

Reactions: epicevan

epicevan

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
The motherboard has multiple SATA ports. Probably 6.
If you use and M.2 drive, 2 of those ports are disabled. The other 4 are still OK.
Oh so those are like the ports you would plug hard drives and CD players into. doesn't seem like a big issue thanks for the info

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
that's exactly what it is. the ports you use for hdd's and so on. the pcie lanes are shared between them so if you use the m.2 slot, you lose the ports that share the lanes.

it's only 2 and you still have 4 more :)

love my aorus pro wifi btw. snazzy board that works well and looks good doing it

Reactions: epicevan

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS