I have a question about SSD swapping.

Terry103

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I have two computers that each have Crucial MX100 SSDs. I want to remove the 256GB from one and swap it with the 512 GB from the other. I guessing that they would switch identities, but other than that, can it work ok? Also would I be able to copy all information from one of them to a new Crucial BX100 500GB SSD for use in a 3rd computer?

Solution
Swapping drives from PC 1 to PC 2 will probably require a clean install of the OS on both.
Unless the two systems are identical.

PC 3 will require it's own OS. You can't use the same one from one of the others.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Also depends on the kind of volume you set up with the mx100. If it's not the primary drive and you have an master boot record it'll work, but if the system you set up the volumes as a gpt. It would have to be swapped into another 64 bit o.s. though i'm not entirely sure if it's going to require the exact same o.s. as well.

As usafret said, if you're switching o.s. i wanna say you have to have identical specs as well, if it's a new pc with a better cpu/ new mobo you're gonna have to do a fresh install. SO if x drive is the one you want to put into pc 2 from pc 1. And it's an o.s. drive you're gonna have to transfer x drive data to y drive then do a fresh install on x in pc 2 for it work. Then transfer data from y back to x.

TRENDING THREADS