I have a Question reguarding my MSI B350 Tomahawk and Ryzen 5 2600x I just bought.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
I am sure a bunch of you have herd this problem many times, but I am a first time builder and was just searching the internet and saw that some mobos with the "AMD Ryzen Desktop 2000 Ready" Sticker. I herd some Asrock and GIGABYTE processors where having problems booting without flashing the bios. Anyone herd anything on MSI side?

Thanks in advance!

If the motherboard is REAL (As in ACTUALLY factory updated), purchased through a valid partnered site like directly from Amazon, Newegg, etc., not through a 3rd party seller that might slap a fake sticker on the box and sell you an older production model of the same board that hasn't been given updated firmware, then if it has that sticker on the box it WILL have the latest firmware and WILL be ready to install the 2nd gen Ryzen 2000 series CPUs.

Doesn't matter what brand it is.

At this late date, I wouldn't worry at all since pretty much any old stock should be gone and all the boards should come with new enough bios to support those chips. Honestly however, I would not recommend the B350 motherboards to anybody building a system right now. Even with the latest BIOS updates they do not have as good of memory compatibility and support as the B450 or X470 boards. Unless you absolutely HAVE to go with B350 due to cost, I'd really try for at least a B450 chipset.

If you plan to run an overclocked system, I'd further recommend that you stick to X470.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019

Thank you darkbreeze for the quick answer. I see I was also reading that the stock motherboards where getting the stickers by "mistake", but this is great news. I did get my motherboard from amazon from MSI as the seller, as of last week, so everything should be perfect. The unforunate part is that I have already bought the b350 board and I was planing on maybe Overclocking to 4 MHz would that be too much for this board?

Ghz, not Mhz.

Since you already have the board, I can't say not to use it. Overclocking isn't going to be great, I wouldn't expect a high overclock on the 4+2 power phase it has, but you should be able to do 3.8-4.0 Ghz depending on how good your CPU sample is and how much work you are willing to do in regard to the proper research, tuning and testing, testing being VERY critical for any overclocking regardless of whether it's CPU or memory.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12024/the-msi-b350-tomahawk-motherboard-review/8

Much will depend on the CPU but the first thing I'd recommend doing after you get it set up and are able to POST, is check to see if there are any BIOS updates newer than what is installed already. Memory compatibility and performance may depend on it and overclocking potential may benefit from it.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Oops sorry forgot MHz is for Ram lols. I am going to be using 16GB of Team T-Force Delta II Ram running at 3000 MHz and I MSI Armor RX 580 8GB. There should be no issues with that right?

"No issues with that" depends on the BIOS version and model number of the memory kit. Compatibility with a broader range of memory modules has gotten better on B350 and X370 due to improved BIOS support, but it still isn't as good as B450 and X470 in that area. There are still kits using certain memory chips that Ryzen platforms tend to not like real well and B350 is probably the least forgiving of the four chipsets I've mentioned.

So make sure you have the latest bios installed, and start out with only a single memory module to see if it will tolerate it and allow you to update to any newer bios versions that are available before installing the second stick and trying to get it to run at it's XMP profile configuration. Also, be 100% sure to install the memory in the A2 and B2 slots if you are using two sticks.

Knowing the exact model number of the memory kit might also help to determine whether that memory has been verified to work at the advertised speed on Ryzen chipsets or not.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019

One last question how will I know that my motherboard posted correctly? Will it show the MSI Logo and then post code? Or just the Post code and press delete over and over to get to the Bios?

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019

So as long as I can get into my BIOS then that is a sucessful post okay. One last question, If my motherboard for some reason decided not to post what are my options then? I really can't afford a board over 100 dollars as that is my budget, so i'm Still kinda worryied. I read online that some motherboard retailers will actually send you new motherboard, or a bootkit, is this true? In your professionional experinace what are my chances of this thing posting?

P.s I know I as 1000 questions, but I have already spent about 1,200 dollars on this computer, just waiting on all the parts. Thanks again in Advance.

IF the system will not POST, then you have about two options.

Well, three actually.

One, return the board and get one with a newer B450 or X470 chipset, and this is probably the MUCH preferred option if you are able to do it.

Two, send the motherboard to the manufacturer, or take it to a repair shop, and have THEM flash the BIOS to the latest version. This is going to cost something to have done, whether by a shop or for shipping to the manufacturer.

Three, find somebody with a first Gen Ryzen CPU that will allow you to borrow it to use long enough to update your BIOS to the latest version.

Those are the only options that will fix a no POST issue if it is due to having a BIOS version still that is too old for the 2000 series processors to be supported.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019

I am seeing a AMD Ryzen 3 1200 for about 90 dollars could I just update my BIOS with that CPU, or Would I have to get something more powerful?

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019

So to actually do the flash do I download the most recent BIOS, as if where just like a ryzen cpu, or do I have to download a new one before that? Watching some youtube videos saying that you have to download some BIOS update beofre you download the most recent one.

Generally speaking, unless it SPECIFICALLY says a certain file or previous version has to be installed FIRST, which is seldom, then you just install the latest bios version, other versions are not necessary. Be sure to watch several videos on flashing the bios on your specific board if you can find them, if not, then watch some for flashing it on your chipset which is B350 and your brand, which is MSI, so that you can be sure you know exactly what you need to do BEFORE you start to do it. Understand the process before you do it, don't try to understand what you are doing WHILE doing it.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019

Actually My brother (who i live with) gave me some money for my Birthday. Which is today. So I decided I am going to be upgrading to a MSI X470 Gaming pro Carbon (which from what I hear is a exellent board). But I well also be going with the Corsair Vengeance CL 16 16GB 3000MHz RGB RAM, but when i looked it up on pc part picker it said that I needed 1 more compatible EPS connector? Any Answers?

So that board has TWO 8 pin EPS sockets, but you only NEED to use one of them unless you are running an extreme overclock. The single 4+4 pin EPS connector on your power supply should be sufficient. That being said, the Thermaltake Smart series power supplies are not very good. You might want to consider a better power supply that DOES have dual EPS connectors, if you decide to do any overclocking of the CPU, or just in general.

Personally, I'd never run any system with a gaming card, of any quality, with either a Thermaltake TR2 or Smart series power supply.

That unit has poor performance on test reviews in all of the following areas. Not to mention, it barely makes the minimal 80plus efficiency rating, not even achieving Bronze.

Efficiency
Hold-up time
Aggressive fan profile
Inrush current
Single EPS connector
3.3V performance
Low quality filtering caps

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019

Is there a power supply under 100 dollars that does have the 2 connectors and is a decent bronze power supply? What would you go with?

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019