jasiel21

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
im moving and i dont know where to put the router.

i can put it on the basement where my and my brother´s computers might most likely be placed. and i can either put it up stair or on the basement to get lan internet or get a wifi card for the computer.

Question (answer all pls)

1. What is a good Wifi card for gaming?
2. Will all of my other devices get good signal if it is on the basement?
3. Will I get good signal no lag with the wifi card?
4. Should i put my PC where the modem is or not necessary?
5. Lan or Wifi (gaming)?

Solution
1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320136 Something like this would work pretty well but all that "extra" speed etc that they advertised is paired with a router of equal capabilities so if your running an old Linksys WRT54G Router or anything that doesnt support N or dual band N, That will be your weak link/bottle neck.
2. If you have a good quality router then range should not be much of an issue unless your going through block walls which would help to kill the signal being your in a basement.
3. You dont have to get a "matching" pair for the router/wifi card but they should support "N" or dual band "N" i'd suggest if you want to do a lot of gaming, also this tech will help with file transfers over your...

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320136 Something like this would work pretty well but all that "extra" speed etc that they advertised is paired with a router of equal capabilities so if your running an old Linksys WRT54G Router or anything that doesnt support N or dual band N, That will be your weak link/bottle neck.
2. If you have a good quality router then range should not be much of an issue unless your going through block walls which would help to kill the signal being your in a basement.
3. You dont have to get a "matching" pair for the router/wifi card but they should support "N" or dual band "N" i'd suggest if you want to do a lot of gaming, also this tech will help with file transfers over your local network if that is something you do or plan on doing
4/5. I personally would take a gigabit lan connection over wifi any day but thats not always possible and i've gamed with wifi cards and experienced no Latency etc so that part is up to you and your specific environment. If its possible, yes i would run CAT6 to my PC but your most likely to come into a bottle neck at your actual ISP's modem and your WAN speeds as both wired and wireless technology can support far more data than your probably capable of with your ISP

Hope that helps

Solution

TRENDING THREADS