I have a really weird network issue

crambles

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
3 days ago my internet service died completely. I called the ISP and they resolved the issue, and then things got weird. The morning after they had fixed my issue the internet died again. My ISP did another fix and said I was good to go but my router could no longer identify the network, but i would get internet if i plugged directly into the wall. At this point i was using a 4 month old netgear r7000, and the ISP claimed that it was to blame. So i purchased a brand new linksys AC1750, and much to my surprise it had the exact same issue. So i had another conversation with the ISP and they ended up resetting all of my ports on their end, and everything worked fine. That is until the next morning, when the internet completely died again. Made another call and now I have internet when i plug directly into the wall but neither my Netgear r7000 or my brand new linksys AC1750 will identify the network. I even tried an old Asus RT-N12 and had no luck. Please tell me I'm not crazy.

Edit:
The netgear router was using DDWRT firmware when the issue first arose. factory reset didnt help, so i reflashed it to the most recent Netgear firmware, then factory reset it 3 more times. The linksys router automatically updated its firmware when it was working, since then Ive factory reset it twice, but it didnt help.

Coup77

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
ADSL ?

If so, try forcing the connection to G.DMT (ADSL 1) and see if the router will connect. Sounds like a line issue, and your modem is failing to negotiate a stable connection at higher speeds.

crambles

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

I actually have fiber optic service, so no modem. Though if i should still be able to force it in some way let me know how.

Coup77

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Sorry, not sure. I have Firbe also, but there are no options to change the connection type. It either does or it doesn't.

It may be painful, but I'd talk to your ISP again.