Question I have a Ryzen 3600x and need a M.2 slot and it needs to be overclockable -- what's the cheapest one I can get ?

Jul 25, 2021
CPU is unlocked..

I have a Ryzen 3600x and need a m.2 slot and it needs to be overclockable what's the cheapest one I can get pcie x 4 may also be needed

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CPU is unlocked..

need a m.2 slot and it needs to be overclockable
Pretty much every single Ryzen cpu is unlocked, Amd didn't put any restrictions like that on them.

3600x is the cpu.. M.2 is storage. You can't overclock an M.2 slot.

Pcie M.2 means it will only use NVMe drive. Sata M.2 means it will only use Sata drive. Pcie/sata means it can use either.

If it is pcie - NVMe, it will be pcie x4. That's the bandwidth restriction of the slot. That has nothing to do with whichever Generation the NVMe is. Gen4 is the fastest and newest, Gen1 is the original, and slowest. Most NVMe today are Gen3, bigger, cheaper and generally don't see any difference to Gen4.

As said, any decent B550 or X570 motherboard will work just fine, are new enough that they all have at least 1x M.2 drive capability, usually 2x slots with 1x being pcie and the other as either pcie or Sata or both.

Reactions: CountMike
Rethink your need for a" m.2 slot that is overclockable"
You may be impressed by the fastest m.2 pcie device benchmarks.
But, the reality is that you can't tell the difference in normal usage.
The performance of all ssd devices is about the same when doing small random I/O. That is what windows does 90% of the time.
Here is an amusing video on the relevance for gamers:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA