Question I have a Sony Vaio with CPU fan problem, often does not start from sleep, or runs very hot, thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2022
When coming from sleep, the fan sometimes is 0 RPM on speed fan. If it does not come online, the system overheats and turns off immediately. sometimes i fumble around quickly and it starts again normally. Still runs quite hot. Max rpm around 7000, averages around 4-5k. all within range when running. But still runs quite hot, left side where the fan vent is , the computer is also very hot.

Also the fan does come on after a reboot every time.

What could be the problem?
Would a defective fan still run, but run badly?
Would changing it be worth it?
More importantly, could the thermal paste between the fan and cpu have degenerated and this would be the prime suspect?
Not sure why it doesn't always start from sleep - is that a software issue, or a fan issue?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022
Thanks. Also fan don't wake from hibernate. Wakes only on reboot. My action plan is to replace the fan with a new one, thermal paste, and dust. But if it is a software interrupt issue..However it runs hot in any case so won't hurt )

Eugene$$

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
Thanks. Also fan don't wake from hibernate. Wakes only on reboot. My action plan is to replace the fan with a new one, thermal paste, and dust. But if it is a software interrupt issue..However it runs hot in any case so won't hurt )

if its not under warranty, open your laptop and clean the dust and replace all thermal pastes, then check if the problem is still here, also do memtest, occt, and some gpu test like furmark for stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.